What's your temp?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: What's your temp?

Post by balzaccom »

We use a couple of REI Sub-Kilo bags that weight less than one kilo (duh!) and are rated at 20F for the men's and 15F for the women's. I find the 20 degree bag fine for everything down to where our water freezes. My wife needs fleece top and bottom to be warm in the same conditions.

And we have a tiny thermometer that is part of her hiking whistle that we used to get a rough idea of temperature when it gets cold. And it's probably accurate to within five degrees or so.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Recently I picked up an Inkbird thermometer on amazon - it's very light, and it will pick up the low and the high over whatever period you run it. So I can turn it on whenever and get actual information instead of guessing, these days.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

AlmostThere wrote:Recently I picked up an Inkbird thermometer on amazon - it's very light, and it will pick up the low and the high over whatever period you run it. So I can turn it on whenever and get actual information instead of guessing, these days.
What's the fun in that? :p
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you review gear, it adds a degree of certainty to the review. (She said degree, har har... Get it? Get it? )

:/
Chris B
Topix Acquainted

Re: 30 Degree bag sufficient for summer in High Sierra?

Post by Chris B »

Asolthane wrote:Well, of course I got two replies, and they are opposing opinions. As for elevation, I am training for the SHR and like to camp high.

The 15 deg. Marmot Pinnacle weighs 40 oz

20 deg WM Ultralight bag weighs 29 oz
30 deg WM Megalight weighs 24 oz
30 deg Marmot Hydrogen 23.7 oz
32 deg WM Summerlight weighs 19 oz.

I carry a Marmot Zeus jacket. I sleep in a tent (so far...considering this tarp thing). And I carry a Thermarest Neo Air xlight.

I guess I would rather carry heavy weight baselayer and be more comfortable around camp and get away with a lighter bag. And, I don't like being cold.
Robin

People are different, I am from Northern Europe so probably more used to cold and wet weather. Your best bet is to see if you can borrow a few bags to try, if you go for a 30 degree bag just take some extra clothes until you find out if it works for you. If you are the sort of person that gets cold feet and hands you may be best to go with a 20 degree bag and take a hot chocolate before you hit the sack.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

For a long time, I used a 30 degree Feathered Friends bag. I've graduated to a Marmot Plasma 15, as I'm sleeping colder these days. I always use some variation of a Therm-a-Rest pad. Currently, it's an EvoLite. Rarely cowboy camp, always carry a tent. Current tent is a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. Don't mind that it needs to be staked, since I grew up with a-frame tents that required oodles of stakes. Sleep in a synthetic tee, superlight long bottoms and silk weight liners. Don't like the feel of the nylon against my skin while sleeping. Occasionally will put on the buff as a beanie if I don't feel like pulling up the hood.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I sleep colder every year. I use my wife's 25 degree bag as a quilt when car camping and temps just drop to 50 at night! I use a 20 degree WM bag and always sleep in long underwear. In September I take 2 pairs of light long underwear bottoms and sleep in my sweater as well in addition to my normal turtleneck. Used to cowboy camp all the time until I once woke up with 18 mosquito bites on my arm that was out of the bag (this was a loooong time ago when I slept much warmer). Now I always take a tent and have recently added a tarp that provides shelter when cooking in the rain.

When I was younger a lot of my equipment was limited by my budget, plus back then an ultra light tent was 6 lbs and there was no such thing as 900 loft down.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Well, I have decided it's worth purchasing a 30 degree bag. I am sure I will use it, even if not at high elevations.

I am just deciding between the WM Megalight and the Marmot Hydrogen
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I use my 25 degree Marmot synthetic for almost everything. I sleep hot, so I like that it zips open from the bottom allowing me to control my temp. Ive had ice on the water bottles with it and was still warm. I do have an old North Face 5 degree, but it weighs like 7 lbs, so I haven't taken it backpacking. I use it for cold weather car camping.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Troutdog 59 wrote:I do have an old North Face 5 degree, but it weighs like 7 lbs, so I haven't taken it backpacking.
What vintage is that? What's it made out of?

My 1986 North Face Superlight (6'6") was rated 5°F and weighed 3 lbs 6 oz.
It was made from 1.8oz nylon and 550 fill goose down. It cost $250 new.
I took it everywhere and used it until it literally fell apart in my hands.