Backcountry MacGyver / MacGinna

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry MacGyver / MacGinna

Post by rlown »

It counts large, Dave! :thumbsup:
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

To get things straight, I did use mark's light when mine died but I used my own repair materials.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I always carry a pen with a few yards of duct tape wrapped around it. I unwind what I need from the pen. This has varied from small pieces to repair a tear in my shorts (it worked quite well) and tears in my pack and tent mosquito netting to larger pieces to cover a bandage on a nasty knee scrape and a cut on the bottom of my foot. I consider it as essential as a first aid kit.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Harder to find, but I prefer duct tape in larger widths than the common 1.5 inch. If you can get 3" all the better.

You do not need to wrap it around anything. Fold a flap back a couple inches and just wrap it on itself.

I sometimes carry some filament tape. Stronger than duct tape but harder to use.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Last year, while hiking the HST my Brother-in-law broke one of his Carbon fiber hiking poles on day two. I gave him one of my poles as his knees are bad and really needs the poles. Then as we crossed over into Big Arroyo the other CF pole broke and I was without poles. I tried whittling a stick to insert into the CF but it was not strong enough to trust. Then as I was setting up the tent at Junction meadows, I realized that the Easton stakes were a perfect fit. It took two evenings to cut the head off one of those, but that and a bit of duct tape took me over Whitney and out.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

Great stories. Will people write out their kit? Sounds like I should carry needles and tape minimum (plus floss or fishing line).

I haven't had any luck closing a wound with super glue, but have been trying to get the glue that is specifically for that from a surgeon friend.

Is Duct tape REALLY the best thing? There's gotta be something lighter, stronger, better adhesive, no?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk