Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing

Post by maverick »

Do you carry dedicated sandals/slippers/shoes, especially during early season, for creek crossings? Do you carry tevas, water shoes, or maybe a sock and shoe insert combo to reduce weight?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing

Post by TahoeJeff »

Crocs for water crossings and kickin' it in camp!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I used to carry Chacos. I love them. But realized they are close to 2 lbs a pair so this summer I am going to try VivoBarefoot Ultras. They weigh only about 8 ounces a pair. Will serve as camp shoe and water crossing shoe (if I need to do so). I was contemplating getting Arcteryx Low Liners instead of Vivobarefoots - look great, dual purpose (if desired) as goretex boot liner, plus can be a good camp shoe. But in the end was put off by the price more than anything, plus wanted something that let my feet breathe.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I take a few deep breaths and flap my arms real fast. If I can hover and move forward for the crossing, that would be preferable. When that doesn't work, I put on the Tevas..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I take a few deep breaths and flap my arms real fast. If I can hover and move forward for the crossing, that would be preferable.
Will have my camera ready for that one Russ. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I've used a couple of options over the years. I really liked my fake Crocs with lacing on the top,....but they eventually succumbed to old age. Now I use some very lightweight strap-on sandals that I bought in France for the beach...and they turned out to be perfect for this. I think they cost about $12.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A side-note for the fishermen out there. If you put on your smart wool socks and the tevas/crocs, It's an amazing low-tech way to wade and fish just off the banks. Or retrieve a badly thrown lure from the reasonably shallow depths. I've done this a couple times, and not just for myself. :(

I don't do this when there's ice on the water. mostly late season, but the woollies keeps the leeches from between your toes.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Last year, I did all of my hiking in Tevas. They worked very will, even on solid talus. Even down Shepherd pass. This year, it's Tevas with Altra Lone Peak as a backup for more serious stuff.

Come to think of it, I did wear heavy boots around Ritter. That's it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I have something similar to crocs, but lighter, no swivel on heel strap. I wear them alone for stream crossing and with a thin wool liner in camp.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Love my chacos and have taken them a few times, but they're heavy. I use crocs now.