Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing | High Sierra Topix  

Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing

Postby maverick » Mon May 02, 2016 12:48 pm

Do you carry dedicated sandals/slippers/shoes, especially during early season, for creek crossings? Do you carry tevas, water shoes, or maybe a sock and shoe insert combo to reduce weight?
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Shoes / Slippers / Sandals For Creek Crossing

Postby TahoeJeff » Mon May 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Crocs for water crossings and kickin' it in camp!
TahoeJeff
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby sambieni » Mon May 02, 2016 2:55 pm

I used to carry Chacos. I love them. But realized they are close to 2 lbs a pair so this summer I am going to try VivoBarefoot Ultras. They weigh only about 8 ounces a pair. Will serve as camp shoe and water crossing shoe (if I need to do so). I was contemplating getting Arcteryx Low Liners instead of Vivobarefoots - look great, dual purpose (if desired) as goretex boot liner, plus can be a good camp shoe. But in the end was put off by the price more than anything, plus wanted something that let my feet breathe.
sambieni
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Postby rlown » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

I take a few deep breaths and flap my arms real fast. If I can hover and move forward for the crossing, that would be preferable. When that doesn't work, I put on the Tevas..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby maverick » Mon May 02, 2016 5:07 pm

I take a few deep breaths and flap my arms real fast. If I can hover and move forward for the crossing, that would be preferable.

Will have my camera ready for that one Russ. :lol:
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby balzaccom » Mon May 02, 2016 5:22 pm

I've used a couple of options over the years. I really liked my fake Crocs with lacing on the top,....but they eventually succumbed to old age. Now I use some very lightweight strap-on sandals that I bought in France for the beach...and they turned out to be perfect for this. I think they cost about $12.
Balzaccom

check out our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
balzaccom
Topix Fanatic

Postby rlown » Mon May 02, 2016 5:30 pm

A side-note for the fishermen out there. If you put on your smart wool socks and the tevas/crocs, It's an amazing low-tech way to wade and fish just off the banks. Or retrieve a badly thrown lure from the reasonably shallow depths. I've done this a couple times, and not just for myself. :(

I don't do this when there's ice on the water. mostly late season, but the woollies keeps the leeches from between your toes.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Jimr » Mon May 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Last year, I did all of my hiking in Tevas. They worked very will, even on solid talus. Even down Shepherd pass. This year, it's Tevas with Altra Lone Peak as a backup for more serious stuff.

Come to think of it, I did wear heavy boots around Ritter. That's it.
What?!
Jimr
Topix Fanatic

Postby Tom_H » Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 pm

I have something similar to crocs, but lighter, no swivel on heel strap. I wear them alone for stream crossing and with a thin wool liner in camp.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Mon May 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Love my chacos and have taken them a few times, but they're heavy. I use crocs now.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby Wandering Daisy » Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 pm

I am making a full circle back to the old days, when I simply took out the insoles, took off socks and waded in my hiking shoes and just put up with wet shoes. I have had Crocs, fake Crocs (actually lighter), fancy very light running shoes, and rubber "water shoes". I now only take extra shoes if I know I will be crossing a lot of streams. In really serious swift crossings, I have to use my hiking shoes anyway for stability. My real crocs weigh 11 oz. Two pounds? Wow! Must have really large feet.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby RichardCullip » Mon May 02, 2016 7:55 pm

My trail runners (Inov8 Roclite 295's) do triple duty. I use them on the trail (duh), for creek crossings and in camp. They have nice sticky rubber and will even stick to wet rocks while stream crossing. It's pretty sweet to just walk across a creek without having to stop and change into different shoes. They seem to dry fairly quickly as I continue the hike on the other side of the creek.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix