Lets Talk Hats

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lets Talk Hats

Post by freestone »

One thing I discovered last week with all this wind is a wide floppy brim blows down and covers the eyes. Very annoying. Also consider if you want a fitted hat, S-M-L-XL, or one size fits all. For me lately it has been a fitted canvas Tilley and a Patagonia sun mask. I have a big noggin and a fitted hat is the most comfortable.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

A decade ago or so I purchased an Outdoor Research Transit Sun hat. I overheat easily and the venting mesh on 3/4s of the crown was the clincher for me. Years later I'm still wearing it though it's well faded (machine washed and dried) and the brim is wavy, making some say they like my booney hat, so this may not be for you, but check it out online. It's my go-to outdoor hat, especially when fly fishing and on assignment as a photographer. I dunk it in water to help keep me cool, it's easily packable and less than half the price of a tilley. And many times the chin strap has been very useful when scooting fast across a lake in a boat. I never understood the use of baseball/trucker style caps for the sierra outdoors.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/trans ... hat-9.html

eric
fresno, ca.
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by The hermit »

Tilly hats are the best. $80 hurts. I got a nice hat at rei for about $20 on sale. Bonus its super light