campingaz stove adapter

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

campingaz stove adapter

Post by mkbgdns »

bet this question got beat to death when Coleman d/c'd campingaz canisters. anybody know of an adaptor which can mount on the stove and allow use of our good 'ol USA threaded canisters? seems like a pretty simple plumbing (gas line plumbing, that is) problem. have campingaz stove I'm fond of...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: campingaz stove adapter

Post by maverick »

Your post was moved to the Outdoor Gear Topix section.
http://zenstoves.net/Canister.htm#CanisterAdapters
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

PM hikerduane. he might have an answer; or take your stuff to a plumbing shop and tell them what you need.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I was just looking at our collection of Campingaz canisters slowly rusting away in the garage, wondering when/how I'm going to get rid of them.

Point your google at "Edelrid Valve Cartridge Adaptor" and you'll find an adapter.

Sorry, I had it backwards. I'm not sure if the adapter you want exists but I'll have a look around for you. It would be possible to make a DIY adapter using an empty Campingaz canister, a screw-on canister adapter, some hose and some high temperature epoxy, but that might not be the solution you're looking for.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

yeah, everything I found adapts campingaz canisters to our stoves, not vice-versa. having the canisters would not be a problem for me.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

longri, depending how rusted, and where you live, I might have you a buyer.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I can think of a few options.

1. First, the obvious one. Give up on your obsolete equipment (or move to Europe).

2. Make friends with a machinist and see if you can get an adapter made.

3. Cobble together an adapter. Get a stove that takes screw-on canisters, one where you can remove the burner. Then poke a hole in the bottom of an empty Campingaz canister. Now epoxy the two together. Presto, an adapter. I've done something similar in the past and was surprised how well it held up. But, having said that, you might want to have a fire extinguisher nearby.

4. Refill your empty Campingaz canisters. Get two stoves or other appliances, one for screw-on and one for Campingaz, where you can remove the burner or whatever to get down to just the valve part. Then using some vinyl tubing and hose clamps connect the two parts. With that you can refill an empty Campingaz canister with a screw-on canister, as described elsewhere. The main limitation with this is that your Campingaz canisters have a limited lifespan (eventually they will either rust or the valves will fail).

5. Keep searching for the canisters. They might still be out there somewhere. Maybe you'll find someone like me who, unlike me, hasn't recently (a few days ago) decided that he could use those canisters after all (they're a perfect fit for my moka pot in the morning).

Good luck!