Help me reduce pack weight

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Help me reduce pack weight

Post by steiny98 »

I see your pack, but what are you using for tent/sleeping bag?

As others have mentioned, too many pants. You should be fine with hiking pants/shorts, capilenes, and rain pants.

As far as your rain paints and jacket go, you can find something lighter (more expensive) with Luke's Ultralite, or consider Frogg Toggs DriDucks. Work great, super light, super cheap.

Ditch the tent lamp, nalgene, fleece pants and jacket, and camp shoes. You can use a gatorade bottle. Is your iphone case really 5 oz? That seems heavy.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Help me reduce pack weight

Post by sambieni »

Whatever camp gear list is posted on here was from 1 year back when I started this endeavour. My rainpants now are about 6 ounces or so. Pants - I have the pair for daytime, rainpants, and 1 capilene and no more. Did I have fleece before? I cut that out.

Lamp is just 1 headlamp for 3 ounces,
Tops are now Patagonia R1 hoody, daytime short and longsleeve performance shirt, UL down jacket, 10 oz rainjacket/shell.
Camp shoes, I still use 'em cause I am not comfortable shifting to trail shoes just yet. I still use hiking boots. But my camp shoes are 10-12 ounces for the pair and good for water crossing too.
Water - hydration bladder + Sawyer + 2 Smart Water = 10-11 ounces total; down from much more beforehand.
Iphone + Case is like 7 ounces total.

Tent at moment is Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2. It was best bang for buck as far as solo and buddy trips. I won't go cowboy or tarp. If I am able, I will upgrade likely to a Nemo Hornet 1 man UL to shed 1 pound.
Sleep bag upgraded and now using WM Ultra Lite at 29 oz + Neo X Air Lite pad. LOVE this setup

All in, when I started reviewing my gear last winter, I was at 25-26 pounds base weight before bear can, food, and water. I was starting off trips at 40-45 pounds. Last summer base weight was about 21 pounds + food/bear/water started trip about 36-37 pounds. After review, I am at about 18.5 pounds once I upgrade my backpack (likely to an Exos 58) and drop Arcteryx. I can shed about 1/2 pound of meds/tools, etc to get to 18. If I can get the new tent, 17, but doubtful. If I am able to comfortably do this summer at that weight, next summer may ditch camp shoes and get trail runners dropping me closer to 16 base weight. I cannot envision ever getting much below that.

Really appreciate folks looking at my list closely.