Tents, tents, oh, what tent? | High Sierra Topix  

Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Re: Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Postby Wandering Daisy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:41 pm

Conclusion to the quest!

You will not believe this, but a gear junkie on another backpack forum is giving me a BA Copper Spur 1 that he bought a few years back but does not use, because for him, it is too heavy. He also bought the Fly Creek UL the same time, and prefers the Fly Creek. Well, I could hardly say no. It is worth a try to see if it works for me. His only requirement was that if it does not work for me, I "give it forward" to some deserving person. After using it this summer, I will give a complete review!

Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Postby ERIC » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Wandering Daisy wrote:Conclusion to the quest!

You will not believe this, but a gear junkie on another backpack forum is giving me a BA Copper Spur 1 that he bought a few years back but does not use, because for him, it is too heavy. He also bought the Fly Creek UL the same time, and prefers the Fly Creek. Well, I could hardly say no. It is worth a try to see if it works for me. His only requirement was that if it does not work for me, I "give it forward" to some deserving person. After using it this summer, I will give a complete review!

Wow, what a deal!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby gary c. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Very nice of him. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Expert

Postby Thebrenner » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:56 am

EXcellent! And certainly you cannot say no to that! How wonderful he gave you the tent ! I'll be looking forward to reading your review once you take it out into the field!
Yeah!
Brenner
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Postby Shhsgirl » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:58 am

Condensation and misting, from what I've been able to understand, depend on dew point, location, and pitch. Then the venting of the particular tent comes into play. I've used Marmot, Hilleberg, MSR, Z-Packs, MLD, and been disappointed countless times over the years. I now use a Z-Packs Hexamid with the bug net, combined with a super lightweight MLD sleeping bag bivy if raining heavily (so I can crawl into tarp without soaking sleeping bag). I also had my down quilt made of water resistant outer fabric. I find this to be the lightest, most efficient combination for the Sierra (but not durable, and it's expensive). I mainly try to know the dew point (if I have recent info) and pay attention to location and pitch.

For coastal hiking, and for any other environment where the dew point is going to be unfavorable, I've never been disappointed in Integral Designs. I've used the MK-1 (we've had one for 15 years, and recently bought another), which is capacious for 1, and can sleep 2 without a lot of gear. It stands up to very heavy winds, and, in my experience, just doesn't condense. I have seen frost on the poles in the morning, but never gotten wet inside. Pitching is a breeze, even in a storm. It has a groundcloth, but I've carried it without many times to save weight. Both times we got the two door model, but I'm sure 1 door would be fine. It is not an ultralight--about 4.5 lbs. I think, but you would have to see what the newer models say. The key to its dryness, in my opinion, is the fabric. I forget the name of the fabric--good grief, I'm a lot of help. Canadian company. Very experienced packer in Washington state recommended them to me years ago.

If I were going to a wet environment, I would carry the extra pound this tent might entail. No need for bivy, water resistant outer material for sleeping bag, or any other stuff. Added benefit--it's four season tent and does extremely well in snow. IMHO, to get true condensation protection, you might have to get a heavier, four-season tent.
Shhsgirl
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:37 am

HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Previous

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix