Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Post by oldranger »

Bowfin is very interesting, comparable to my big sky evolution w/ 2 pluses & one negative when comparing. +1. Price +2. Much simpler set up. -1. Floor design makes it impossible for an old man to pee without carrying a pee bottle from inside the tent which you can do in the big sky tent--a real convenience when it is raining.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Wandering Daisy wrote:LOL. My husband bought a border collie puppy, a new pickup and an Airstream trailer as gifts for himself without consulting me! I doubt your wife will complain about one little tent.
If only... WanderingDaisy, I am gonna send my wife your way if she finds out. :p
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Careful! Remember about paybacks, A few years ago I came out of the back country after an extended trip and my wife informed me that "we" had bought a house! Turned out to be a great investment.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

you can never have enough tents. I invest in tents like others invest in real estate, I guess :)

Currently I own
2 person 4 Season tent
3 person 4 Season tent
1 person 3 season tent (brand new, got a deal, had to buy...)
1 person 3 season tent (now for sale)
2 person 3 season tent (old beater)
3 person 3 season tent (go-to tent unless solo)
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Finally used my Nemo Hornet 1P (not the elite) for first time last weekend. 3 nights; 2 in backcountry. It is lightweight; nearly 37 ounces when you use all stuff sacks, plus recommended footprint. Definitely delicate given its weight.

I am nearly 5'7" and found 1p was good size with room to spare for warm clothes, water bottle, reading /writing stuff all kept in my tent. I never really found myself hitting the ends. Vestibule nice size for boots, poles, and pack under cover.

Side door is a really nice benefit compared to BA's Fly Creek. Can leave open/tied back to stargaze and easily close when cool air picks up as night goes on. 2 interior pockets; one overhead best for a headlamp. Did not realize until after hike you can even use to muffle the light and provide a true overhead light for reading, etc.

It sets up fairly quick, but first 1-2x took me longer than I would have liked. Took me time to figure how to integrate the ground tarp in particular; going forward will be less issue. Key is site selection if not eager to guy out and really prefer staking as I do.

Stuff sack has two ways to cinch it; If you remove poles for elsewhere on/in your pack you can cinch down fly/footprint/tent really tight to get more space. Really cool feature/design.

Two critiques - cannot use fly for fast pitch absent the tent. And I had a tight pitch w/ rock in soil one night and so condensation did come into tent mesh by early morning. Again, site selection is key. Sleep bag, fortunately, did not get wet.

Additionally, the rain fly on mine caught a bit. I was fine correcting, but middle of 3rd night, while tired, etc, I jiggled too much and zipper went off tracks. Nemo immediately honored warranty and shipping me a new fly.

Really recommend for those eager for tent similar to BA's Fly Creek. That was my comparison tent, but this saved me some $$$ and side door huge plus.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

Sorry to chime in on this thread so late in the game, but I'll definitely give a glowing recommendation to the MSR Hubba NX1.

Lots of interior volume and headroom, great job of keeping out weather, vents well, guys out solidly, dual direction vestibule that rolls completely back to open fully and actually fits gear or allows for cooking, almost full length side entry makes for easy in-and-out, sets up in small places where space is severely limited, several pitching options, free-standing, pretty light, packs small. Been using it for solos for about 2 years now, couldn't be happier. Well, maybe I could, but it's a great little shelter does a good job and that won't break the bank too hard.

I've got a couple Nemo Galaxi 2Ps that are mostly used for the kids (who knock the crap out of them) and short trips where the weight isn't so much a factor or we can split the load. $200 beater tents. I don't know about the Hornet, but as a brand, I've been very impressed with the quality, construction, and thought that they put into their products.