...carry a camera?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

While backpacking do you usually carry a camera?

Do you not usually carry a camera?
1%
Is your backpacking camera in a cellphone?
10%
Is your backpacking camera a compact digital camera?
48%
Is your backpacking camera a DSLR or mirrorless?
40%
Is your backpacking camera a film camera?
1%

Total votes: 84

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ...carry a camera?

Post by Cross Country »

I would imagine that a majority of BPers carry a camera and take some photos but a minority take lots of photos. Obviously I'm supposing here. The people I'm writing this to probably arn't reading this because they don't carry a camera but here goes anyway.
I always assumed that the purpose of carrying a camera was to look at pictures and show to others soon after a trip. Therefore I took some pics and didn't take many I should have taken. I was mistaken in this assumption and now I know what I think should be the real reason. I think I have a perspective on this that very few on HST have. I'm a retired BPer (not by choice) and believe there are VERY few of us here (maybe only me).

I don't have NEARLY ENOUGH PICTURES of my trips to look at and in many cases only my memory (which pictures illuminate). It's a good thing I have an excellent backpacking memory. Not a lot of 72 year olds have.

I believe I remember every day of every trip except for places I went to more than once and in those cases I remember every little part of those places. Nevertheless the pictures of my trips are better than pure memory.

What I'm saying here is: TAKE PICS OF ALMOST EVERYTHING. I'm probably preaching to the choir here and believe that the people who should be reading this don't even checkout this thread. That's a shame (for them).
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ...carry a camera?

Post by Cross Country »

Also - this is coming from someone (me) who went BPing more than 500 days.