DWR material

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

DWR material

Post by don norton »

Has anyone had experience with DWR Material Does it make for good rain suits (pants and jacket) GoLite has some light rain pants but has DWR does not sound to good your opinion please
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

It depends upon the material and the coating as to how it'll hold up, but in general in my experience, I wouldn't count on a DWR coated material to stand up to strong OR prolonged showers or rain. It'll breath extremely well and keep out the wind, but as for a rain suit I wouldn't count on it. Read the description for the fabric closely though, if it is multiple layered with a DWR coating - with regards to rain protection - it'll work more like GoreTex. If it is a single layer with a DWR, it could work more like toilet paper. Just my .02
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'm just not a big fan of Go-lite. I tried one of their packs and a pair of their rain pants. The pack just plain hurt and the rain pants ripped the second time I work them and it wasn't rough terrain.