what is this map software?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

what is this map software?

Post by frozenintime »

hey all

in looking over some of rogue's amazing trip reports on flickr, i keep coming across very detailed maps with established trails and every peak, lake, etc. marked.
what is this site or map software? (image attached).

such a basic question thanks for humoring me :)

goodmap.tiff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: what is this map software?

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's Garmin Mapsource. Then I have the 24K West maps installed. Pretty handy map software with scaling tools for planning miles.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

oh, interesting.
i tend to use gaia on an iphone so i'm less familiar with garmin.

the usgs maps caltopo uses are great but to actually see established trails and peak/lake/etc names you have to zoom in quite close. garmin seems to have figured something out there.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The maps are high resolution also. You can zoom right in to the maps and there is not a change in quality. I have TOPO with the national park maps installed but you only get 4 zoom levels and the closest isn't high resolution enough for me.

The only thing the maps lack is trail mileage markers but it has a tool that automatically highlight the whole trail that you tell it to and it says miles.

For better or for worse sometimes the Garmin map also shows every old trail there is pretty much. Some that are completely lost. But it still can give you the idea of route.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Have the Garmin maps that Rogue refers to installed as well. Love them. A great planning tool. Esp the 24k.

You can also project them onto Google Earth. always fun.

Sorry. what is this iphone about you speak? :)