New tent?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New tent?

Post by markskor »

Tarpent Rainbow -

After only ~500 Sierra bag nights, my Henry Shires Rainbow has given up the ghost. BTW, Over the last 5 seasons, have replaced those zipper slides 4X - this year, only got about 60 nights before they failed again - just too light. I asked Henry if there was any way to put heavier/ sturdier YYK zippers into his tents as this seems to be their weak link... (He said no! - did say the re-oriented the zipper design - said would/should last longer.) - otherwise a great palatial tent for one dirt-bagger - Sierra.

I probably could have replaced those slides again, but another problem also arose this season, making repairs moot. Tuolumne, one of those pesky (bubonic plague ridden?) critters decided to gnaw through most of the bottom mesh area - now just too expensive to replace that damage.

Thinking of purchasing a new Rainbow - like the extra room provided, its minimal weight (34 oz.), having a side entry, and that when stuffed, it fits in my backpack's side pocket.
Thoughts?
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: New tent?

Post by oldranger »

I think you should consider the Double rainbow with two sided entry and better ventilation, much better when passing gas!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Considering the Double Rainbow but at 41 oz (half pound heavier) - too heavy. I did write to Henry directly, asking if he could build me a single Rainbow with entries on both sides - would seem to be the ideal set-up, but alas, he also declined - (thought it would relatively easy too.)

I guess the real question is, why do all tent manufacturers insist on using those (too) light YYK zippers? I would gladly pay extra for one with beefier sliders that do not warp as easily.

BTW, I do wish I could find that guy who keeps sneaking into my tent all night - passing gas.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

A friend of mine replaced a different TarpTent model with a Big Sky Revolution 1P and he's really happy with it. The stock version weighs 39 ounces but you can cut that down to around 36 if you're willing to spring for a lighter shell option. True double wall tent with two side doors and two vestibules. I've seen the tent in use. It's roomy, easy to set up, and the build quality is excellent. He had condensation problems with his TarpTent and thinks the Revolution is a better performer in wet weather.

It's not a trekking pole shelter though, if that's what you prefer.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I have been extremely happy with Henry's Protrail.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Looked seriously at the Big Sky model mentioned - FYI, IIRC, my buddy OldRanger carried that exact tent out to the Sawtooths this summer. While impressed with the design, the two side entrances (and much-sturdier zipper sliders), it is made for a smaller person - (a troll). If it were only 8 inches longer...
BTW, what's with the additional charges for adding guy lines?
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

Hmm. The diagram on the Big Sky page I linked above shows the tent's length as 84". But this page touts "Now l o n g e r Big Sky tents" and shows the Revolution 1P's length as 89". That's five inches out of eight, anyway. The four-season version of the same design, the Chinook, is 91" but it weighs more than three pounds. My friend received his Revolution just three weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it must be the new version.

I didn't realize the guylines were extra. The Big Sky website in general is pretty problematic.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mark!

Found your new tent/sleep system.. Heck, you already have a Jeep...

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My Tarptent Moment is on its last legs too. I replaced zippers twice. I just bought long zippers from a fabric store and sewed them in myself. Zippers are the weak point on ALL tents - even the bigger zippers fail. The biggest problem now is that the floor seeps water. I guess I should have been more careful and used a ground sheet. But, for the price of a Tarptent, getting 5 years or so use with as much nights as I spend out, replacing it is not a big cost issue.

Big Agnes put out a zipperless tent and I now see you can get them on sale at a big reduced price. Reviews say it was a good thought but simply does not keep out the bugs. I actually have thought about buying one and simply sewing in my own zippers.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

34 ounces.......oh my aching back.....I prefer the 14.6 ounces of my ZPacks Solplex tent. Single-person, fully enclosed, bathtub floor, side-entry.... Heck it's only money ;)
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard