Locked ammo box for bear cannister?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Locked ammo box for bear cannister?

Post by SSSdave »

Just now noticed this thread. I actually have a big steel military surplus ammo box I occasionally bring along in the Forester. Way too heavy to carry off away from the vehicle as a bear box haha. Modified it for locking shut with cable padlock to wrap around my car seat. Thus at some remote trailhead someone can't toss a boulder through a window then expect to easily grab whatever or carry the box away haha.
Shiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Locked ammo box for bear cannister?

Post by Shiker »

SSSdave wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:00 pm Just now noticed this thread. I actually have a big steel military surplus ammo box I occasionally bring along in the Forester. Way too heavy to carry off away from the vehicle as a bear box haha. Modified it for locking shut with cable padlock to wrap around my car seat. Thus at some remote trailhead someone can't toss a boulder through a window then expect to easily grab whatever or carry the box away haha.
I have a large size ammo box to use as a bear box if I park in a remote area where there are no bear boxes installed. I have a cable that I can use to lock it around a tree. I leave a note that it contains only food and no valuables and by exit date to reduce the liklihood of tampering...