Emergency Whistles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Emergency Whistles

Post by maverick »

After the incident with the hiker in the Sierra National Forest, thought I would ask, how many of you carry whistles as part of your basic essentials? Which on do you have?
http://survival-mastery.com/skills/comm ... istle.html
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Emergency Whistles

Post by rayfound »

I don't have one. I probably should have one. Will try to pick one up.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude. Never got it back. They are a good idea.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Still have my Storm Safety Whistle, that thing is loud.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Actually carry two -
One REI clipped to my pack shoulder strap,
and another, attached to my headlamp strap (BTW, always worn around my neck at night.)
Mountainman who swims with trout
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude.
I wonder if 125mg tablets of acetazolamide might have worked better. That's what I take when I'm having trouble sleeping at altitude and it works like a charm.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

No whistle for me. I had one of those orange whistle/buckle things on my sternum strap. But I don't like sternum straps so I removed it.

I played a part in a rescue that was initiated when I heard someone blowing their whistle. Would we have heard them screaming help instead? I'll never know since they had that whistle.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

longri wrote:
rlown wrote:Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude.
I wonder if 125mg tablets of acetazolamide might have worked better. That's what I take when I'm having trouble sleeping at altitude and it works like a charm.

I made him go to the doctor and they prescribed Xanax. I found that 151 made him sleep better :) Still has my whistle though.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Longri wrote:
Would we have heard them screaming help instead? I
A whistle is much easier to blow than to yell, and the sound travels much further, even up to a mile away.

WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

One of the features of my Aquilo pack from Elemental Horizons is a built-in whistle attached to the sternum strap. I also carry a small Liberty Mountain aluminum whistle like this, attached to my light shell jacket as a zipper pull. The shell goes with me whenever I wander away from camp.