Emergency Whistles | High Sierra Topix  

Emergency Whistles

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Emergency Whistles

Postby maverick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 pm

After the incident with the hiker in the Sierra National Forest, thought I would ask, how many of you carry whistles as part of your basic essentials? Which on do you have?
http://survival-mastery.com/skills/comm ... istle.html
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Emergency Whistles

Postby rayfound » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:21 pm

I don't have one. I probably should have one. Will try to pick one up.
rayfound
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby rlown » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude. Never got it back. They are a good idea.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby maverick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:26 pm

Still have my Storm Safety Whistle, that thing is loud.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby markskor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Actually carry two -
One REI clipped to my pack shoulder strap,
and another, attached to my headlamp strap (BTW, always worn around my neck at night.)
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby longri » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:08 pm

rlown wrote:Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude.

I wonder if 125mg tablets of acetazolamide might have worked better. That's what I take when I'm having trouble sleeping at altitude and it works like a charm.
longri
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby longri » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 pm

No whistle for me. I had one of those orange whistle/buckle things on my sternum strap. But I don't like sternum straps so I removed it.

I played a part in a rescue that was initiated when I heard someone blowing their whistle. Would we have heard them screaming help instead? I'll never know since they had that whistle.
longri
Topix Expert

Postby rlown » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm

longri wrote:
rlown wrote:Had one. Gave it to a friend who hiked out solo 2 days early because he couldn't sleep at altitude.

I wonder if 125mg tablets of acetazolamide might have worked better. That's what I take when I'm having trouble sleeping at altitude and it works like a charm.

I made him go to the doctor and they prescribed Xanax. I found that 151 made him sleep better :) Still has my whistle though.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby maverick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Longri wrote:
Would we have heard them screaming help instead? I

A whistle is much easier to blow than to yell, and the sound travels much further, even up to a mile away.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby WarrenFork » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:48 pm

One of the features of my Aquilo pack from Elemental Horizons is a built-in whistle attached to the sternum strap. I also carry a small Liberty Mountain aluminum whistle like this, attached to my light shell jacket as a zipper pull. The shell goes with me whenever I wander away from camp.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Postby maverick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:03 pm

I also carry a small Liberty Mountain aluminum whistle like this, attached to my light shell jacket as a zipper pull. The shell goes with me whenever I wander away from camp.

I was under the assumption that metal whistle are not safe in very cold conditions, and they can stick to you lips in freezing temperatures.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby WarrenFork » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 pm

If I'm wandering away from camp with only a light shell it won't be in subfreezing temperatures. The whistle on my pack is plastic.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix