Gear Review: WoolX Lightweight Merino Wool Baselayer Series

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Gear Review: WoolX Lightweight Merino Wool Baselayer Series

Post by HikingGeek.com »

I've been testing WoolX's line Lightweight Merino Wool clothing since June. I've been very happy with it. Merino is new to me, so I don't have an extensive direct comparison with merino from other manufacturers, but being someone that had only used synthethic clothing prior to WoolX, I now consider myself a merino convert.

If merino fits your budget, I highly recommend giving WoolX a try!

Here's a link to my full review:
Gear Review: WoolX Lightweight Merino Wool Baselayer Series – T-shirt, Hoodie & Boxers
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Gear Review: WoolX Lightweight Merino Wool Baselayer Ser

Post by Wandering Daisy »

How do you wash it? My husband throws his Smartwool in the washer with all his regular clothes and even in the dryer; I always wash my wool separately in cold water and Woolite and line dry. His wool does not shrink, but I think it lacks the softness of being washed in cold water and Woolite.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Funny. Husbands usually have 1 setting and goal for washing clothes: Put as much in as you can and set the washer on stun to get the job done fast. :D I do that as well, and my woolies haven't shrunk either, but I've gotten bigger :) I do tone down the heat on the dryer for a load of synthetics and woolens, but that just makes sense.

I cannot stand the smell of Woolite, but my wife swears by it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I too have been wearing wool for at least the last decade, Icebreakers and Ibex, wash them in cold or warm water and line dry.

Icebreaker recommends the following:
Care Guide

Icebreaker garments are designed to be easy for you to care for. We recommend that you wash your Icebreaker garments on a normal warm or cool machine wash cycle with regular powder or liquid detergent, not wool detergent. Don’t use fabric softener or bleach. Separate lights and darks as usual. Also, do not expose any Icebreaker garment to heat and do not tumble dry. Line dry or lie flat in the shade.

NOTE: After your first 2-3 uses, we recommend that you wash the garment separately to diminish the appearance of any short fibers from the fabric.

Complete instructions for best results:

Wash like colors together (e.g separate lights and darks)
Wash prints inside out
Close all zippers
Use warm or cool machine wash on a normal cycle (avoid a hot wash, this contributes to shrinkage)
Use regular detergent
Do not use bleach or fabric softener under any circumstances (your Icebreaker couldn’t be any softer)
Wash occasionally with denim (e.g. jeans with the zipper closed) or other coarse fabrics to remove any loose fibers.
Do not iron prints or labels
Line dry garments – do not tumble dry (except socks, see below).

For Icebreaker Coastal & Pureplus Jackets:

Dry clean only

For Icebreaker Socks:

Only socks: Tumble dry on a low heat, inside out

Pilling: How to prevent it and how to treat it

Pilling is a natural process that is inherent in merino fabric due to the fact that merino is a staple fiber. Generally if pilling occurs, it’s because the shorter fibers are working their way to the surface of the fabric.

The best way to avoid pilling is to wash a new Icebreaker within 3 wears. To alleviate the pilling, we suggest that you wash the garment with a coarser fabric such as denim jeans (ensure all zippers are closed). The fabric will improve over time as the shorter fibers are removed.

Garments and odor:

Merino fibers have the characteristic of drawing moisture away from the body and either absorbing or releasing this moisture, which eliminates clamminess and ensures that the garments remain odor-free. The fibers work this way in our garments the same as they do in the sheep that supply our Merino.

We strongly recommend that our customers only wash their garments on a normal cool or warm wash cycle with regular washing powder. Hand washing can enable a residual build up of perspiration which could contribute to an odor problem.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Long time wool wearer too. The best wool for comfort and warmth IMHO is cashmere. Merino is good, but wears out fast, even when the wool thread is blended with synthetic fibers.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The best wool for comfort and warmth IMHO is cashmere.
What company did you purchase cashmere shirts from, that are as thin, and light as merino wool, between 120-170 grams per square meter? Only cashmere I have seen are thicker material, and for cold weather usage.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Only cashmere I have seen are thicker material, and for cold weather usage.

At night, I am always cold in the Sierra regardless of what material I wear as a base layer, I crave down with loft instead. The only reason I wear a base layer is to protect my down garment from body oil and dirt.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikingGeek.com »

From WoolX:
Machine Wash And Dry, Guaranteed No Shrinkage
100% Merino Wool that washes and dries perfectly every time. Finally 100% Merino Wool garments that wash and dry easier than many cotton fabrics! Your time is better spent putting your WoolX to use. Hand wash?? Lay Flat?? Do not dry?? All in the past with easy-care WoolX. Simply machine wash and dry. Couldn't be easier. No worries of shrinkage ever!
Personally, I wash my wool separately and put the shirts in a delicates bag. Our washer eats normal shirts, so not taking a chance with merino.