Bear canisters?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear canisters?

Post by Jimr »

I'm number 1 except I rebag everything. I don't use freeze dried pre-packaged stuff. No snacks except some sort of trail mix, but I often find I have too many almonds and cashews left at the end. after a few days, I start eating just to lighten the load. After breakfast, I can go all day without eating, but I will occasionally snack while resting.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I don't like to be compartmentalized. It varies from trip to trip. Thought this was about bear can size/rental? 10 days in a garcia works quite well. I can get 15 days into my 12" bearikade.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Russ wrote:
10 days in a garcia works quite well. I can get 15 days into my 12" bearikade.
Darn Russ, you must either have a slow metabolism, or a bird size stomach. :lol:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Jim wrote:
After breakfast, I can go all day without eating, but I will occasionally snack while resting.
Must be those exotic chilies you bring. :unibrow:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

or maybe, i fish? :p
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

or maybe, i fish? :p
No wonder that you are so adamant about your requirement, that their has to be good fishing at any location you go, otherwise you would starve. :)

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Chilis and a 1/2 pint of gruel and I'm set for the night. That's why I can pack my poop out with no problem. There isn't much. TMI? :moon:
Last edited by Jimr on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

In fact, I think those Garcias should be open able at both ends. One end for incoming food and one end for outgoing food. Food container and port-a-potty all in one.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i don't go to eat. I go to fish. eating them is a bonus if available, but I don't head out to fish-less lakes if that is what you mean.

If I were closer to where Markley was heading in, I'd loan him my can.. a 2-nighter for 2 people. that's a small can unless you go gourmet.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Jimr wrote:In fact, I think those Garcias should be open able at both ends. One end for incoming food and one end for outgoing food. Food container and port-a-potty all in one.
Garcia.. the new wag bag.. :)