Bear canisters?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bear canisters?

Post by markley »

Hey all,
Just wondering how much it is to rent a bear canister? Also, are they available for rent at all of the permitting stations and in abundance? Trying to determine whether or not to just buy some before our trip.

Thanks
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Bear canisters?

Post by SSSdave »

AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

markley wrote:Hey all,
Just wondering how much it is to rent a bear canister? Also, are they available for rent at all of the permitting stations and in abundance? Trying to determine whether or not to just buy some before our trip.

Thanks
National park rentals are cheapest. National forest offices vary - some won't rent you a can, some will. Some stores (REI for example) rent them. Wild Ideas is the best deal - they rent the lightest (for the volume) can by mail to you.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wild-ideas: http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/

You'll get mostly Garcia can rentals everywhere else.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

Thanks all! I may just buy one to avoid having to worry about dropping back off.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

In the case of the Bearikade, you take it home and mail it back to them.

Depending on the length of the trip and your efficiency in packing, the Bare Boxer is a good buy - but it's also the smallest can on the market. It's only available online. I do many weekenders and have one - it's perfect for a 3-4 day trip, for me, as I can wedge 3 days of food into it by making good choices of high calorie, low bulk foods.

Turning the can back in is easy - most places (like the wilderness offices in Yosemite and Inyo) have a night drop you can toss the can into, even at 1 am.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

From what I can tell, the bearikade is "sold-out". I really like the price and size of the bare boxer, just a little worried that it won't get here in time (leave in one week). I think I might just get a Garcia container which the local REI store has. I'm sure that we'll get a lot of use out it here in NC as we are always camping in bear country (just have always done the hanging method).

So I have never used a canister, would the typical 9x12 inch be enough for a two -nighter for two people? I'm having a hard time visualizing without actually having one in front of me.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

You can stuff about 10 days worth of food into one can if you pack it right. I have two I'm wanting to get rid of for $30 each, but I doubt it would get to NC in time.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Post by markley »

Thanks Jimr! Yeah, I think that'd be cutting it a little close.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you are going to be in SEKI they also rent Bearikades at some of their visitor centers. A friend once drove all the way up to get one for a Yosemite trip.