Bear canisters? | High Sierra Topix  

Bear canisters?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Bear canisters?

Postby markley » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Hey all,
Just wondering how much it is to rent a bear canister? Also, are they available for rent at all of the permitting stations and in abundance? Trying to determine whether or not to just buy some before our trip.

Thanks

markley
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: Bear canisters?

Postby SSSdave » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 pm

SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:49 pm

markley wrote:Hey all,
Just wondering how much it is to rent a bear canister? Also, are they available for rent at all of the permitting stations and in abundance? Trying to determine whether or not to just buy some before our trip.

Thanks

National park rentals are cheapest. National forest offices vary - some won't rent you a can, some will. Some stores (REI for example) rent them. Wild Ideas is the best deal - they rent the lightest (for the volume) can by mail to you.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby rlown » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Wild-ideas: http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/

You'll get mostly Garcia can rentals everywhere else.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby markley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:29 am

Thanks all! I may just buy one to avoid having to worry about dropping back off.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:32 am

In the case of the Bearikade, you take it home and mail it back to them.

Depending on the length of the trip and your efficiency in packing, the Bare Boxer is a good buy - but it's also the smallest can on the market. It's only available online. I do many weekenders and have one - it's perfect for a 3-4 day trip, for me, as I can wedge 3 days of food into it by making good choices of high calorie, low bulk foods.

Turning the can back in is easy - most places (like the wilderness offices in Yosemite and Inyo) have a night drop you can toss the can into, even at 1 am.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby markley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 am

From what I can tell, the bearikade is "sold-out". I really like the price and size of the bare boxer, just a little worried that it won't get here in time (leave in one week). I think I might just get a Garcia container which the local REI store has. I'm sure that we'll get a lot of use out it here in NC as we are always camping in bear country (just have always done the hanging method).

So I have never used a canister, would the typical 9x12 inch be enough for a two -nighter for two people? I'm having a hard time visualizing without actually having one in front of me.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Postby Jimr » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:37 am

You can stuff about 10 days worth of food into one can if you pack it right. I have two I'm wanting to get rid of for $30 each, but I doubt it would get to NC in time.
What?!
Jimr
Topix Fanatic

Postby markley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks Jimr! Yeah, I think that'd be cutting it a little close.
markley
Topix Acquainted

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm

If you are going to be in SEKI they also rent Bearikades at some of their visitor centers. A friend once drove all the way up to get one for a Yosemite trip.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby maverick » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:51 pm

You can stuff about 10 days worth of food into one can if you pack it right.

10 days in a Garcia :eek: , that depends on how much you eat, no way I could get 10 days in one, not even 8 days with my metabolism. :(
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby SSSdave » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:05 pm

maverick wrote:
You can stuff about 10 days worth of food into one can if you pack it right.

10 days in a Garcia :eek: , that depends on how much you eat, no way I could get 10 days in one, not even 8 days with my metabolism. :(

:thumbsup:

Same here. There are two kinds of backpackers. ;)

1. Backpacking causes a lack of appetite especially at the beginning of trips. In fact these same people often have a hard time sleeping even though they are dead tired after a long day of hiking. Their food supply is mostly neatly packaged "backpacking food". with a few snack foods tossed in. Yeah I have mini Snickers bars. One for each day.

2. Backpacking and otherwise any strenuous outdoor activities tends to make them hungry lions able to wolf down a horse. When dusk skies drop they are quickly sound asleep in their warm bags. Some fill their food containers with lots of snacks and candies and all manner of stuff they actually don't usually eat at home.

#1's near end of their trips often can't wait to get back to civilization and often cut their trips short for that reason. Back in town first major stop is for a major pigfest at a restaurant.

#2 look at their food supplies near the end of their trip and announce what they have left to others in the group. Then the others feast on their big Ziplock bag full of cookies and whatnot they had not yet eaten. Back in town they too go to a restaurant but its just a little red meat fest before hitting the road.
SSSdave
Topix Fanatic

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix