Mid-height, >not< waterproof boots/shoes?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ToothlessMountaineer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mid-height, >not< waterproof boots/shoes?

Post by ToothlessMountaineer »

I'm more than a little dissapointed in either my Google-fu or shoe manufacturers. The only major companies I've found who make non-waterproof and mid height, fairly lightweight boots or hiking shoes are Merrel and Keen. I tend to do lots of cross country and travel on rough trails, plus a few peaks a summer, and I haven't found anything that'll last more than 200 miles. Merrels have all worn out for mearound the 6th toe and develop holes in the material around the heel pocket. I'm trying a pair of Keen Gypsums now, and the edge of one of the outer lugs has already had its gluing fail and wasn't repairable with Aquaseal. We'll see how much of a difference that makes for me on Humphreys this weekend.

If they would only fit me on longer trips, I tried some La Sportiva Hyper Mid GTXs last summer and loved them until they aggravated my ankles enough to bail after 2 consecutive days of backpacking. If La Sportiva made them just a bit wider I'd be in heaven (Merrels and Keens fit me perfectly), but at least their Gore-Tex application still breathed a little bit. It seems like practically every single hiking shoe must be waterproof if it's a mid height, but I absolutely don't want that for non-winter Sierra trips that make up 95% of my mileage. Any recommendations, or will I just have to live with knowing that I go through a pair of shoes every JMT-equivalent?

If only Montrail still made shoes like before they got bought out. I put 500 miles and a summer of forestry in my '07 Hardrocks, and if I hadn't worn out the rubber and rock plate once that was exposed I'd happily still be hiking in them.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Mid-height, >not< waterproof boots/shoes?

Post by oldranger »

If kerns and Merrills fit you you might try lowas. Also to armor your boots a little you might pre treat new boots by applying a layer of shoe goo to the areas that typically wear out.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mid-height, >not< waterproof boots/shoes?

Post by maverick »

I loved the Hardrock's, unfortunately they changed them after 3 year, and the fit was not the same, they did the same with the Vitesse. :( Do not expect any of these shoes to last more then one or two cross country trips, have to change mine constantly, my current kicks are La Sportiva Ultra Raptores, cannot wear mid's or high tops boots, have not for decades.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org