Clip on Altimeter?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maytag
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Clip on Altimeter?

Post by maytag »

I am searching for an altimeter that will clip on to a backpack; I am not fond of wearing a bulky watch so I thought this would be a good solution. If anyone has a recommendation for a light'ish weight clip on altimeter with not too many bells and whistles I would be interested in hearing your feedback. That being said...if there is a watch out there that is on the small side, I am open to exploring.
Thank you
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Clip on Altimeter?

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Check out the thread associated to this post by OR: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6840&p=47669&hilit ... ter#p47669
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Unfortunately High Gear is no longer producing the altimeter that I have.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Sunroad makes one, see http://www.amazon.com/Seedan-Multifunct ... +altimeter for instance. I haven't used it.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I realize you were asking about a clip-on because you would like to avoid the typical bulky altimeter watches but this watch might be an alternative. I have been using a small lightweight Casio altimeter/barometer/thermometer watch for years with good results.

It's the same size as a normal watch and it weighs less than any other watch I've ever used. 1.6 ozs but still durable. I have used it on the SHR and many other xc routes and although it shows some normal wear and tear, it's been fine. I replaced it when it was stolen recently.

It uses the same technology as the overpriced options but it's reliable and functional and retails for $65 on Amazon or $51.96 at Sears. When I don't want to wear it I just attach it to one of my shoulder straps (through one of the daisy chain straps).

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Gents-Altim ... B003LSU0K8

http://www.sears.com/casio-mens-calenda ... Redirect=y

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk