Best method/material for backpack repair?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Laserjet3051
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Best method/material for backpack repair?

Post by Laserjet3051 »

Hi:

Sorry if this subject has been discussed previously but I am looking to perform the most bulletproof repair to 2 expedition sized backpacks and seek advice on method/materials. Both packs are cordura/ripstop nylon that is quite thick. The largest hole is in a side pocket about the size of a quarter, other holes are smaller, and in one case a ~4cm2 region is perforated with many tiny holes. Rodents are responsible for producing all holes.

I have reviewed methods/materials in order to perform the repairs myself but seek guidance here for what typically holds up the best over time, especially under the rugged conditions we put our packs through in 4 season backpacking. If sewing is the overwhelming consensus on the best repair, then I will pursue that, though I am not well versed in sewing. It seems that the synthetic nature of pack materials lends itself to durable repairs with organic solvent-based glue.

Any specific recommendations? I'd love to have my Osprey packs be dependable pieces of gear for ever.

Much thanx!

Howard
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best method/material for backpack repair?

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a patch of Kenyon tape on my pack - been there since it tore on the head of a screw in the back of a truck, about four years. I put a patch inside, another outside, and rounded the corners. Part of it is coming up a little only because it is on the roll top of the pack and sees a lot of rolling and unrolling. I considered getting a swatch of the same material and sewing a patch over the hole, but the tape is doing the job.