Quilt Temp Ratings Fairly Accurate?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by gabe&mel »

juliabrooke wrote: At this point I'm looking at an EE Revelation 10 degree Short length/Regular width. Is the 10 D fabric of good function/durability? Or should I take the 20 D instead? Again, I'm 5'6" ~130 lbs female. Someone had mentioned not to underestimate the benefits of a wide quilt. their regular width is 54″ head half tapered to 40″ foot and the short is geared towards users up to 5'6" tall. Not sure if I should go with the regular length/wide width instead.

Thanks again!
My older quilt is 20d and has held up fine for the past 4 years. and has lost a minimal amount of feathers. My newer quilt is 10d and I appreciate the softer hand, haven't used it long enough to speak to down leakage or tears.. My quilt is always in a storage sack, stuff sack or in my tent so I'm not too worried about the outer fabric, occasionally I will leave it on some rocks to air dry but the majority of the time it's protected.

For width for you I think a normal width would be fine. I have broad shoulders and appreciate the width when moving from side to side. If I recall on the EE website there is a chart that correlates to body sizes and widths. I'd recommend sending an email or phone call to Tim at EE to be on safe side though for sizing.

My newer quilt is 20 degree 10d wide width and regular length and I'm 5'11" and 200" lbs. It weighs ~ 22 ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433196653.576738.jpg
Another quilt user. Most people like mummy style sleeping bags in winter temps, but I have been using this winter quilt down to 11 F and slept warm and cozy. In my experience the loft to temp table on the Thru-Hiker website has been accurate, even conservative for me. . .but I run much warmer than most. I make my own quilts, but for commercially available quilts I would highly recommend Katabatic quilts for a few reasons. They have an attachment system that keeps out cold air drafts. Also, their trapezoidal footbox design saves weight while keeping your feet warmer by avoiding dead air space. They will add down overfill which is a huge deal because you can essentially customize each quilt to your own specs.

The quilt in the photo is homemade so I was able to make the fit just right and add extra down in specific areas as needed. No problems with cold air drafts due to a clip on attachment system that keeps it in place (borrowed generously from Katabatic).

It has 17 ozs of 900 fp down, 6" of loft and 23 oz total weight. The shell material is 10d Pertex GL from Zpacks, the liner is 10d NoBul2 from Tigoat and the baffles are 0.31 oz/sqyd cuben. It is 80" long, 56" at the shoulders tapering to 40" at the footbox. For reference I'm a 6' 200 lb side sleeper. I started with the Thru-Hiker kit a few years ago and upgraded the design to include a trapezoidal footbox and adjustable clips to attach it to a Therm-a-rest Xtherm (size large).

It's most similar to a Katabatic Sawatch in design, weight and warmth. If you're interested here is a link to more details and photos:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... oidal.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.