Recommendations for camera equipment in Sierras?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
abcdethan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Recommendations for camera equipment in Sierras?

Post by abcdethan »

I am shopping for a budget camera and tripod setup for backpacking in the sierras. I want to be able to shoot 360 hdri panoramas which requires a tripod setup, a camera that can mount a fisheye lens, and a nodal ninja pano head. I have a base pack weight of about 22 lbs, which could be lighter if I get a better tent. I am interested in adding as little weight to my pack as possible as my typical trip is about 4 days. For the camera, I want to spend around $600, so I am deciding between the Nikon d3300 ( which is about a 1.5 lb) or go mirrorless with the sony A6000 ( about 1lb.) On top of that I will have to buy a corresponding fisheye lens ( about 1lb). The nodal ninja pano head is 3 lbs. I am also looking for a durable case for the camera as well. Any recommendations for a light-weight tripod? I hope to take this to the Rae Lakes Loop in June.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Recommendations for camera equipment in Sierras?

Post by rlown »

look at the thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12705

Also, for camera equipment, you'll probably get a better response on choices of camera gear there. There was a discussion on lower-cost camera choices there.

Russ