Optimal Tent for an old guy or old guy + old gal

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Optimal Tent for an old guy or old guy + old gal

Post by freestone »

Can't wait to see pictures of it in action!

Or even pictures of it set up in the living room.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

oldranger you seem to be in a dilmma about the weight?

Ought to check out the tentless solution at Spock-N-Scotty.com that weighs just 3 ounces. Just lay out your sleeping gear anywhere and somewhere near the middle actuate the neon green pushbutton. The projected invisible force field extends out about 5 feet in every direction as a sphere including below ground. So one can enjoy a clear view of the Milky Way. Another benefit is the total isolation of sound so is nicely quiet inside. The one neon green pushbutton is a toggle function so to exit that totally removes the field, just press the button a second time. However there is a 3 second window between turning the field off and when it can be re-actuated.

It comes with a little lanyard to clip onto a keychain. The only Con is if any object comes in contact with the field, it becomes stuck to the surface until the green button is again pushed and there is this sort of ticklish sensation that continues. Thus there is some chance one could wake up in the morning with let me say an unwelcome creature stuck to the outside. And if one then presses the green button, there are 3 seconds in which whatever was stuck to the force field might need to be appeased.

David ;)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

oldranger you seem to be in a dilmma about the weight?

Ought to check out the tentless solution at Spock-N-Scotty.com that weighs just 3 ounces. Just lay out your sleeping gear anywhere and somewhere near the middle actuate the neon green pushbutton. The projected invisible force field extends out about 5 feet in every direction as a sphere including below ground. So one can enjoy a clear view of the Milky Way. Another benefit is the total isolation of sound so is nicely quiet inside. The one neon green pushbutton is a toggle function so to exit that totally removes the field, just press the button a second time. However there is a 3 second window between turning the field off and when it can be re-actuated.

It comes with a little lanyard to clip onto a keychain. The only Con is if any object comes in contact with the field, it becomes stuck to the surface until the green button is again pushed and there is this sort of ticklish sensation that continues. Thus there is some chance one could wake up in the morning with let me say an unwelcome creature stuck to the outside. And if one then presses the green button, there are 3 seconds in which whatever was stuck to the force field might need to be appeased.

David ;)
When will these be ready for earth consumer Dave, have only seen these available to the Borg and Klingons. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave

sounds good except for the part of no sounds which I really enjoy. There is nothing quite like the sounds of steps heading your way in the middle of the night and not knowing whether it is a deer, raccoon, bear, or lost person until you shine your headlamp on it.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings oldranger

Well, if you're old enough, a WW I pup tent should make you feel right at home!

Being 66, as long as the good Lord let's me put 7 days of gear in my pack and solo up above treeline, I'm a...happy camper.

peace
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Balance

Love to be only 66. Remember WW II pup tents from surplus stores in the 50's though. They were constructed so that each of pair of soldiers could carry 1/2 of the tent. Unfortunately even 1/2 the tent weighed considerably more than the "3" person tent my wife and I use, not to mention the solo tents I own.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Until our 60's, my husband and I used the Integral Designs single wall 2 man tent. It is bombproof, weighs slightly over 5 lbs, and does not allow a single drop of condensation to form. It is a four season tent that will last for years, but it is not a great big, oversized room. There is just enough room for two six footers to sleep comfortably. But being snug doesn't matter when there is no condensation, does it? Packs and boots need to stay outside, unless you attach the vestibule, which we never did. When we got too old to carry 2.5 lbs. apiece, we switched to two individual Hexamid Solo tarps with bug nets. I use the Solo plus, and he uses the Solo. With everything, they weigh about 10-12 oz. each. Stakes are extra, but we usually use rocks. The tarps take up a bit more groundspace than the tent, and take some practice to set up efficiently. We have been in some pretty good storms with them, including one four-hour heavy hail storm last summer, and one rain and wind storm in which I had to hold the tarp pole, for fearing of it blowing over, but have always stayed dry and warm. I should add that I supplement my tarp with a 4 oz Mountain Laurel Designs cuben fiber bivy. Keeps my bag from getting wet with splash or from when I crawl into the tarp wet. The tarps are very roomy.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Shhsgirl

The day my wife sleeps in a separate tent is the day we stop backpacking together!

Mike
Mike