Possible gear suggestions for early Jun hike over Kearsarge?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Possible gear suggestions for early Jun hike over Kearsarge?

Post by Captain Slappy »

I'm an experienced non-snow backpacker who mostly stays on trail. I've done several long hikes in the Sierra over the past few years. I'd like to do a hike over Kearsarge and possibly Glen Pass to Rae Lakes in the second week of June. (TR promised if it works out.) I'll be taking another person with me who only has one trip under their belt.

I know it might be difficult to say right now, because the weather can change in a blink, but assuming no major snow events over the next couple of weeks, what would be some of the gear to consider bringing along, if any? I'm wondering if spikes, axe, or gators would be a good investment, for example.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Possible gear suggestions for early Jun hike over Kearsa

Post by oldranger »

I use short gators all the time to help keep my socks clean so that would be a good Idea. Other than that hiking poles is all that you should need. If there is any snow thru hikers will have steps established on the n. side of glen pass. Kearsarge is totally on s. slopes so snow, unless there is a really late storm a couple of days before your departure, will not be an issue this year.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!