REI Dividend

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

REI Dividend

Post by ERIC »

I we beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get mine and then just noticed it was on the end table under a stack of old junk mail. Not sure when it arrived but stoked to have it especially since it's more than I was expecting. Think I'm going to put it towards a new backpack. I'm intrigued by the Osprey Atmos AG line.

Anyone have any big plans for their dividend?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: REI Dividend

Post by markskor »

This year's dividend?...not much this time as no REI near to my home.
What dividend there is, I'm putting it all towards a Lara Bar.

Had a chance to look at the new Osprey AG backpack, here - (Mammoth Mountaineering) - looks pretty sweet and lightweight...alas, no hip bottle holders.
Best thing though, with the great Osprey service guarantee, you can send it back in for repairs as many times as you like. :whistle:
just my 2¢
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Yep, I've long been a big fan of their products and the company in general. I and my wife have owned many of their packs over the years and I think all are pretty durable save the Exos 58.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

I still havent recieved my dividend. Planning to spend it (with the bonus card) on an Exos 48. I tried on the 58 in store and while it was a great fit for me, it was way too big for my gear.

Eric, did you have durability issues with the newer (2014) version of the exos? Im fairly rough on gear so durability is always important to me. I am concerned a bit about the mesh which looks pretty thin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Cashing it out. They don't have much I want. Somehow I made nearly $50 buying fuel cans, shirts and ????
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

sheperd80 wrote:I still havent recieved my dividend. Planning to spend it (with the bonus card) on an Exos 48. I tried on the 58 in store and while it was a great fit for me, it was way too big for my gear.

Eric, did you have durability issues with the newer (2014) version of the exos? Im fairly rough on gear so durability is always important to me. I am concerned a bit about the mesh which looks pretty thin.

The Osprey Exos 58 I have is the earlier model. I'm not sure if the mesh was improved in 2014 or not, but I did have mesh durability issues with the pack I have and I would consider myself to be someone who is NOT rough on gear. I'm also not a fan of the Exos' hip belt. Too thin for a pack that size and for me I'd rather have the pack be a few ounces heavier and more comfortable. That's why I like the Atmos line.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Half of my purchases were non-dividendable, so I guess I'll spend my 10 bucks on small stuff.
I've gotten into the habit of checking out potential purchases at REI, then getting a better deal on-line.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

I've kind of gone the same route, jimr. Still have the REI Visa card, however, so the dividend is usually more than just a few bucks. With the promotions REI runs right after dividends go out it ends up being a pretty good deal.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We use our REI credit card for almost all non-REI purchases. This year it's $660. So far I got about $300 in planed purchases of a NeoAir Xlight Large and some Brooks Cascadia 9 hiking shoes. This will by my 3rd pair. I do all my conditioning walks in these shoes so I tend to wear them out in about 9 months. Our main trip will only be about 8 days this year so I was going to treat myself to the larger sleeping pad. I will leave the rest unspent until we get closer to our summer backpack trips. Last year I bought a new backpack and a warmer very light sleeping bag for my son. My wife may spend some money on some clothing.
Jeff
sheperd80
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sheperd80 »

Finally got the dividend email! The 20% bonus becomes active tomorrow so I'll be ordering an Exos 48. If i dont like it I can just return it in store.

Eric, thanks for the input. It seems alot was changed in the redesign of the pack so hopefully its tough enough. If I end up returning it I guess I'll have to risk buying one of the other options Ive been looking at (Granite, Gossamer, ULA, etc). None of those packs quite meet my wants but im sure one will fulfill my needs if the Exos doesnt work out.

I always like to try an REI item first due to the return policy and the price. Between my dividend and the bonus im lookin at about $115 for a pack so its certainly worth a shot.