Opinions on Big Agnes MtnGLO?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Opinions on Big Agnes MtnGLO?

Post by SweetSierra »

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have thoughts about Big Agnes' new MtnGLO tents? They've won Backpacker Magazine Editors Choice Award. I love Big Agnes and have the Copper Spur UL 1 and 2, but just curious about opinions on having LED lights sewn into the tent body. I can see problems with lights eventually malfunctioning. If backpacking, you need a flashlight anyway for perhaps hiking in the dark or a late night dinner. It sounds like a fun convenience for the times you can't find your flashlight, but I wouldn't buy the tent just for that.

Big Agnes is pitching (pun intended) the LED tent as offering "security." It seems that they're trying to appeal to those who are afraid of night-time sounds. I go out there for the darkness. They say it wouldn't wake up a tent partner but the light seems pretty bright. Personally I wouldn't want to see brightly lit tents dotting the landscape of a lake. It would be like bringing a lamppost along with you. :confused: It seems that way to me at first blush anyway (IMHO). Thoughts?
Last edited by SweetSierra on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Opinions on Big Agnes MtnGLO?

Post by freestone »

A nice idea. I would much rather see glowing tents than campfires! I noticed you can by the unit as an accessory and it runs on 3 AAA batteries, but they do not give the weight penalty for such pleasures, but it may be worth it because flashlights are always such a PITA in tents.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Brien »

You can buy LED lights like these for $10 on Amazon and put them in any tent.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Having used earbuds, any electronic device that uses and relies on small wires is worthless back-country... and additionally, any electronic product that is stuffed/crammed away repeatedly is soon prone to failure. IMHO, this is just such a product...inane.
Add in water/rain and condensation issues and I do not see this as a viable gear purchase. Add in the 6 oz of additional weight and the tent/ light contraption becomes laughable.
Not anything I would ever use...YMMV.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife and I became converts to Luci lights last year. They are great for providing light inside the tent and as an area light outside if you want it.

Here's the manufacturer web page. It's worth checking out to learn how important these lights are for people who use them to help make their lives better.

https://www.mpowerd.com/
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
cantare
Topix Acquainted

Post by cantare »

I have the Copper Spur UL2 MtnGlo. The USB battery pack is detachable, which is nice, as you could leave it out entirely for ultralight trips, or use it to charge/power something else with AAAs. Think it adds ~3 oz. For me, it's still a huge weight reduction from the 7 or 8lb SD Tiros 1 I used to haul around, and I like the diffuse lighting, which doesn't glare at anyone.

It's nice for that first hour or so of tent time after dark when you're getting organized, reading maps, or enjoying some quality time. It has at least one dimmer setting, if full-on is too bright. I suppose it's possible to behave inconsiderately with almost any equipment, but I can't see these being any worse than ill-aimed lanterns or headlamps. I camp away from others, don't leave mine on all night, and use a headlamp on "darkroom red" setting for those 2AM calls of nature.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

LMBSGV wrote:My wife and I became converts to Luci lights last year. They are great for providing light inside the tent and as an area light outside if you want it.

Here's the manufacturer web page. It's worth checking out to learn how important these lights are for people who use them to help make their lives better.

https://www.mpowerd.com/

I love my Original Luci light. I also picked up the smaller EMRG Luci and I took it on a couple trips, but on both trips it would not work the first night out. After sitting in the sun the second day it would work fine on the second night; so it seems to discharge while in my backpack the first day because it was working when I packed it both times. I have not had any problems with the Original Luci; so that's the one that will go in the pack from now on.

I don't think the Big Anges Tents with the lights will sell very well. I wouldn't buy one.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Luci will also charge your Smartphone now.

https://www.rei.com/product/126408/mpow ... _c121f7d09
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien