Opinions on Big Agnes MtnGLO?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Opinions on Big Agnes MtnGLO?

Post by SSSdave »

Not something I would buy but can understand the BA marketing strategy with multi-person tents as it would appeal to those that buy those tent light accessories and hang them from the top. Great for those that say play cards or for those with kids on trips that one needs to occupy with activity. Or for those late night types that have no interest in sleeping after dusk. If one needs temporary light in a tent, a concentrated headlamp will always be more efficient use of battery power. Reading a paper book or repairing some item are examples of evening activity where a headlamp with strong light is going to be used.

For experienced enthusiasts however don't expect much demand. For just standing out in the dark at night, cordage or rope with fluorescent bands works fine. My Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 has such staking cords and at night they are surprisingly bright even with little moon out. We rarely make camp fires and after dusk dims are usually quick to get into our solo tents. After that may deal with some minor business like reviewing topos for the next day then are soon usually asleep until early dawn when I am eager for following day's whatever that s best dealt with using a headlamp.
mrphil
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mrphil »

I'll throw in as another fan of the Luci lights. EMRG for the tent, bigger, 10 led Lux S16 (original version in frosted) for the site. I prefer the frosted over the clear vinyl, even though the lumens are slightly lower. Lightweight, recharges pretty quickly while hanging on my pack, charge lasts several days with moderate use, good ambient illumination. The only thing I don't understand is why they bothered with an SOS mode. Oh well, still great lights. That usb charging version for your phone/headlamp looks interesting if it can do the job, but it's getting kind of pricey at $35. They're also having a 2-for-1 sale on some models right now on their site. https://mpowerd.com/collections/shop

Markskor is right about wiring in the wilderness. I laughed when I first saw the BA Mountainglow tents, but to each their own. I would just be weirded out having wiring sewn into my $400 tent knowing how I have the tendency to always try to cram it into as small a compression sack as I can get away with.

Since we're on the topic of lights, I might as well mention the latest headlamp that I'm in love with: Thrunite TH20. Amazing in the cool white version. Throw in a 14500 lithium-ion battery and an Olight charger and it's probably the best system I've ever used. The ratings are great. Check it out. I'll never go back to another plastic BD or Petzl again.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Lights built into a backpacking tent to me is completely pointless. Car camping...sure.

Kind of funny this is "Editors Choice" lol
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

sparky wrote:Lights built into a backpacking tent to me is completely pointless. Car camping...sure.

Kind of funny this is "Editors Choice" lol
Pointless and laughable? Not really. Its dark in the tent, flip a switch then there is light. Pretty nice actually. I'm surprised more BA tent owners don't take advantage of this LED innovation. Long nights in a tent just got a little more bright with very little weight penalty and absolutely no hassle, a very simple backpacking pleasure really. I'm guessing they will eventually add a red light spectrum and maybe a setting that blinks SOS!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

And a disco mode...
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I know there was a thread about losing your tent at night when answering nature's call. This could prevent that.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I am asleep before dark! Don’t need a tent with lights. Hike more carry less?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Just another step in what I perceive as a trend toward the urbanization of the wilderness experience. Before the development of lightweight backpacking gear beginning in the 60s most people who visited the backcountry were dependent on horses, mules, and burros. Now use of stock is greatly reduced but the new urban users still think it is too much. Now many users want to have continued communication with family, friends, work while in the backcountry with the expectation that if they get in trouble someone will bail them out--rapidly. Now there is a movement to allow bicycles in the wilderness. As a really old "old schooler" I have become somewhat dependent upon stock in order to continue my practice of relatively long trips, hate to use any lighting except to read at night (using headlamp really screws up night vision)(generators running and bright Coleman lantern rub me the wrong way when car camping too), carry spot locater to let my wife know I am OK at the end of each day (at her insistence) (I have on one occasion refused to use 911 function at anothers request because in my judgement the situation did not warrant such use) but really would not carry one otherwise, prefer to hike with as few people as possible (I don't play well with others and pretty much insist on my own agenda), do not believe that bicycles are appropriate in the wilderness (but have no problem with non motorized wheeled apparatus for handicapped individuals), and unlike the free access of my early days of backpacking fully endorse trailhead quotas and requirements for food storage. I really like campfires where safe and there is plenty of wood but often go weeks on end without one. Since I'm generally off trail my group seldom camps near another group but I really don't want to see a tent all lit up or to listen to someone elses music. Clearly I am not logically consistent but that is just the way I see the world. In the end my view of the wilderness is to escape the everyday urban world not bring it with me.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I wonder how a bear would react to a glowing tent? Would it be an attraction or scare the bear away?

On full moon trips I do not even take a head lamp at all. Part of being in the mountains for me is to fit into the natural light cycles. I get up at dawn, stop early enough not to need lights at night (except a small light to find an Advil at night if needed). I agree with OR that we are urbanizing the wilderness, taking away the adventure. IMO, if you are scared of the dark, you do not belong in the wilderness.

But there are those who are late risers and walk until dark with head lamps, cook in the dark, and do not want to go to sleep until midnight. IF that is your style, then the tent may be useful. These hikers only annoy me when, in the dark, the do not see me, and set up 100 feet away and light up everything and talk loudly until midnight. Then I get up at dawn, clang pots loudly and give them a rousing wake up call.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I wonder how a bear would react to a glowing tent? Would it be an attraction or scare the bear away?

On full moon trips I do not even take a head lamp at all. Part of being in the mountains for me is to fit into the natural light cycles. I get up at dawn, stop early enough not to need lights at night (except a small light to find an Advil at night if needed). I agree with OR that we are urbanizing the wilderness, taking away the adventure. IMO, if you are scared of the dark, you do not belong in the wilderness.

But there are those who are late risers and walk until dark with head lamps, cook in the dark, and do not want to go to sleep until midnight. IF that is your style, then the tent may be useful. These hikers only annoy me when, in the dark, the do not see me, and set up 100 feet away and light up everything and talk loudly until midnight. Then I get up at dawn, clang pots loudly and give them a rousing wake up call.
That is a great question...I wonder how a bear would react to your glowing tent. I have never had a need or a want for a light inside my tent. The MtnGLO thing is bizarre to me but like Daisy said, everyone has different cycles. I like to be up early and on the trail and get to camp early for a nice swim and relaxing afternoon. I do like those LUCI lights and if you're trying to take one of those awesome photos of the milky way above your well lit tent, then maybe MtnGLO would be a good idea. It is just not for me.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.