Petition to Allow Ursack in Yosemite and SEKI

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ursack Passes IGBC Test

Post by schmalz »

I would definitely be purchasing one for use in specific areas where I'm not worried about bears. This is good news.

Are they already legal in Inyo NF? I haven't been keeping track.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

With the ursack, it states you need to tie it off to something. Why not simply bear bag it and chase off bears if they come around instead of laying it out there for them to gnaw on. If I can get away with bear bagging again an ursack, I would definitely go that way instead of a canister.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

tie it off? give the bear leverage? Agree with your comment on bear bagging it if you go Ursack.

You have to tie it off because it's a soft case and the bear will carry it away, until it figures out to just gnaw the rope. Good luck.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

If you are going to hang it why bother with an Ursack?
Either it works or it doesn't. A sylnylon bag of same size weighs about an ounce.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I was just wondering why they aren't hung like a conventional bag, but left tied to something kind of like bear bait. When I looked at the website it struck me as odd and I thought that there may have been a reason I wasn't aware of.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Unlike most canisters the knotted portion of the Ursack is easy to grab with the bear's teeth and could be rapidly transported a long distance and become lost to the owner if/when abandoned by the bear.
Therefore the recommendation that it be tied to a secure object. So the tests in an enclosure do not reflect some real life issues with the Ursack, and because there are knots involved the odds of user error are pretty high.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would only use mine for the overflow of my vittles on a longer trip, which my canister
was not large enough. Above treeline it goes into a deep cracks with a fishing line
attached to retrieve it. Would not use it as my primary food container, even if the bear
doesn't rip it open, it will crush everything inside, and its saliva will wet it thoroughly, and
that is quite disgusting. Know of someone who this has happened to in the 1000 Is Lakes
area, who wants to carry that around in their backpack for the rest of their trip.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:...who wants to carry that around in their backpack for the rest of their trip.
It would be a great conversation starter!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I bring my Bearikade because I need a chair out there. That it doubles as an approved bear canister is a bonus.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

fishmonger wrote:I bring my Bearikade because I need a chair out there. That it doubles as an approved bear canister is a bonus.
It's a good thing you don't need a sofa, too.