2014 JMT gear failure list

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

2014 JMT gear failure list

Post by freestone »

A compilation of gear failure reports on the JMT. Of interest is the high rate of water filter failures and Bear issues in Yosemite. I spotted people having the same problems I did with Dirty Girl gaiters and Brooks Cascadias.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Fz_vc ... w?sle=true
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 JMT gear failure list

Post by rlown »

an interesting list. The bear thing I get. The water filter thing not so much, unless they're filtering from a swamp. My hiker pro only failed after 10 years of successful use after my friend stepped on it and broke off the outlet fitting (we had two).
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I love the problems with electronics. How shocking that cell phone didn't work on Muir trail! Obviously didn't try on Island pass. Somewhat surprised that some experience people committed to long distance travel with equipment obviously near the end of its useful life. (I have to admit that I once took a 19 year old tent on an 11 day hike that developed a small leak after a couple of days of rain. ) :crybaby:

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Lots of piezo igniter failures on canister stoves. Appreciated the comment from the guy who brought a titanium wood burning stove but ended up using his buddy's JetBoil because it was so easy and hassle free.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I have gone through like 6 Katadyn Hikers and the pro model. I had one for only like 3 days when I dropped it from 2 feet off the ground and broke the inlet nozzle. Twice I had the filter that came with it fail to pump anymore through it after about 20 days of use. I swear the one you get from the factory is a rip off! In 2013 when the filter starting becoming really hard to pump I kept using it because I knew I had a new filter in a week or so in a resupply. Well finally the piston broke from the heavy pressure of the pumping. After so much trouble with the damn things and having them break twice on trips the first month in and never filtering again in 2014 I didn't take a filter at all and probably wont again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

actually, after re-reading the complete list, who are these people? Don't you test your gear before you go?

Stove gets lit, filter pump gets tested/piston lubed, tent is seam sealed, pad is re-inflated. Bear can cams are lubed. New batts or recharge for the electronics. I smell another checklist coming on. :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

These people are often folks who have never backpacked a day in their lives - which is why they don't know how to test gear. They're related to the folks who come to Yosemite and go backpacking for the first time ever on a whim, buying stuff at the gear store in Yosemite Village and racing into the backcountry without a thought for preparation.

I am reminded of the JMT hiker who triggered a SPOT just last year when a fire caused billowing smoke that obscured the trail. Search teams were deployed and were looking all over for her only to be told she and her friend had continued to hike - she wasn't asthmatic or anything, just freaked out by all the smoke, and evidently recovered from her freakout and continued. Searchers went home. ](*,)
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ikan Mas »

I sense a lot of clumsiness and rough handling of equipment among the crowd that was surveyed. Also sounded like a lot of first timers. Perhaps the real lesson here is to forego loaning any equipment to the "unproven."
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The Dirty Girl gaiters come with stick-on velcro squares, but those work better if you use epoxy to stick them to the shoe. I have an old worn out pair of shoes with the velcro still on them. Had to buy more velcro patches to epoxy to the next pair of shoes.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I understand the need for gaiters in the snow; i use them when skiing. Why do you need them on a trail? Maybe with trail runners, etc, but not boots.