Claustrophobic Sleeping Bags?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Claustrophobic Sleeping Bags?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I'm not sure what to call it, but a buddy of mine who has been interested in going on camping trips for quite some time with me is finally taking the plunge and getting some gear.

The major issue I've found is he doesn't like sleeping bags as he starts to feel claustrophobic in them due to not being able to move freely as you would in a bed.

Is there anyway to get around this? Or something that might work? I've thought about maybe just having him use a nice down sleeping bag as a cover, and having him tuck his feet in the foot area, but then thought that might be a bad idea for when it does get cold at night as he might not be warm enough.

Would that work? Am I over thinking it? Or are there other options? I know there are quilts, but don't those still technically wrap around you?

Just trying to figure something out that might work for him. Or if we'll just have to stay in elevations that don't get too cold at night.

Thanks all! Happy New Year!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Claustrophobic Sleeping Bags?

Post by rlown »

One of my hiking buddies has a similar issue, but I don't think it's bag related. He carries a WM Badger which is quite roomy and generally unzipped.

He's had this problem more as he got older (only in late 40's now). It happens as low as 8500' and gets worse as we went higher. This is independent of whether we're cowboy camped or in a tent.

I believe the altitude tricks his brain into thinking when in the bag, he can't breathe. His approach was to get in the bag at first, then he'd get up and put all his clothes and rain gear on and sit outside, even in below freezing weather.

I made him go to his doctor and discuss the issue. Benadryl and Xanax was the answer he got. It works sometimes and sometimes he just stays out in the cold.

A tough nut to crack.
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cmon4day »

I've heard of some backpackers use a blanket in lieu of a sleeping bag (ala John Muir). This might work for your buddy.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

John Muir also burned whole logs.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I use a down quilt instead of a bag. It's made specifically for camping. It works for me but it's not for everybody. There was a discussion on quilts a few monte ago. You might find it via the search function.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have your friend check out Sierra Design sleeping bags: https://www.sierradesigns.com/sleeping-bags" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My husband has the same problem. He sleeps in a North Face Expedition down parka and an "elephant's foot" made to specifications at Feathered Friends. A bonus is that he gets up in the morning and wears his down parka in the morning, never really having to get out of his warm sleep gear! This system is not cheap. A good down parka will run $250+ and the custom made elephants foot $200-$300. You also need good down gloves. We used to do technical alpine climbing in the Sierra, and for us, we already had this gear, because it is pretty standard for bivouacking on longer climbs. I personally prefer a standard sleeping bag for backpacking, because the weight per warmth is much better. But then I do not have the claustrophobia problem.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

InsaneBoost wrote:
The major issue I've found is he doesn't like sleeping bags as he starts to feel claustrophobic in them due to not being able to move freely as you would in a bed.
Does he have this problem at low altitude as well? If not, it's not the bag, unless the bag is just too small. Do a test trip at way lower elevations with him. Much cheaper than dumping money into equipment before you know the reason.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

rlown wrote:
InsaneBoost wrote:
Does he have this problem at low altitude as well? If not, it's not the bag, unless the bag is just too small. Do a test trip at way lower elevations with him. Much cheaper than dumping money into equipment before you know the reason.
From what he's told me, the inability to move freely is what does it, so I don't believe it's an altitude thing, I think it's more of how close the sleeping bags are, rather than like a cover.

That's why I was thinking if there was a way to use the sleeping bag like a cover, he'd be fine. I know I do that a lot and just tuck my feet in at the bottom when we're in weather from 35 and up, but I just don't know if that'd work for him below of 35 being I haven't camped in those temperatures yet.

Not trying to have him freeze to death of course.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a three season quilt and a 0 degree quilt (and same-rated underquilts, for the hammock) - no more bags for me. Because I too prefer something that can be tossed off, or easily ventilated, no zippers to abrade either the hammock bottom or the sleeping pad.

Jacks R Better, Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, all make excellent quilts, and some makers are more than happy to customize the dimensions or the color or the features of the quilt. My 0 degree from Hammock Gear is easily my favorite piece of gear.