Stuff Sacks?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Stuff Sacks?

Post by Dave_Ayers »

My pack has a lot of compartments, so mostly stuff sacks are not needed. But I do take a light mesh bag to hold various cooking and personal items. Mesh bags are good when you have a lot of miscellaneous stuff as you can see through the mesh to snag the one item you might want instead of digging and dumping.

The mesh is nice at laundry time to carry wet clothes to/from and while I'm clipping them on the tent poles or line to dry. The mesh dries very quickly. And they work well for stashing something you might want chilled in a creek.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stuff Sacks?

Post by Bluewater »

I use homemade cuben stuff sacks for most things.

Small wide/shallow ditty bag for stuff that gets a lot of use; knife, Aqua Mira drops, medication, small bic lighter, eye drops, DEET, sun screen, all repackaged into small containers.

Small bag for first aid and repair.

Small long/flat/wide bag for toilet kit.

Medium for larger less used items; head net, GPS, extra DEET and sunscreen.

Medium for cook kit.

Medium stake sack if using snow anchors.

Large clothes bag.

Large food bag if not in bear country.

Gossamer Gear pack liner if it looks like rain.

Everything else goes in outside pockets or smaller pockets made to fit; SPOT/ID/car key, camera, regular stakes, maps, permit. My packs are homemade so everything is purpose built.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk