Stuff Sacks?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Stuff Sacks?

Post by InsaneBoost »

How many of you all have stuff sacks for multiple things? I've been reading and it appears it's a smart idea to have one for your kitchen and one for your clothes. Some say three for extra stuff like a camera, journal, etc.

I assume it would be wise for at least the kitchen and clothes? Are there any brands that are best? Obviously waterproof would be a must. I see Sea to Summit has some, but they run from $22-$50. Is this a good buy for the quality? Better routes?

Should I use a trash bag instead?

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stuff Sacks?

Post by maverick »

Depends on your personal style, its like buying a backpack, some folks like to throw
everything into one large compartment, other like have several compartments to
keep things organized to the tee.
All my kitchen gear in my cooking pot, so not sacks needed. Sleeping bag and down
jacket are in a garbage bag at the bottom of my pack, the rest of clothes are stuffed
around my bear canister to keep it stable. Do carry one stuff sack for socks, underwear,
and extra sleepwear, this sack turn into a pillow for the evening.
If I was out on an extended trip or in a wetter area (PNW) then things would change, but
Sierra is pretty easy to deal with.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Good to know and didn't even think about doing that for a pillow. Good thinking.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

I carry a few. One for cook wear, socks-underwear, first aid and headlamp. Just adds a few ounces all sylnylon (light and pretty waterproof)and double as a stuffed pillow. Color coded so they are easy to sort and keep like things together. Real cheap on Sierra Trading post and Ebay. As Mav says; a personal choice. If it starts to pour, I want to grab my poncho asap and not have to dig for it; or dress a gash in my leg. Sylnylon also can carry water up to camp to filter away from it's source.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I carry a plastic trash bag to use as a pack liner if needed and to put my pack in if left out in the weather. I also use it to blow up my sleeping pad. I have a dry sack that my down bag and down sweater go into and pack it in the bottom of my pack. I have a stuff sack that I picked just because it has a satin feel to carry my thermals and extra socks in that doubles as a pillow. I've heard of other folks that separate everything into stuff sack for organization but I'm more like Maverick. I like to use everything else to pack around my bear can and to keep things from rattling around.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

I use one for my sleeping pad and one for my quilt, mainly to "get the air out" and keep things more compact. I guess it's more of a compression sack than a "stuff" sack. I also line my pack with a trash bag in case of rain.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I use a small ditty bag for first aide and personal items and the Snozzle (Exped pad inflator) as a large water proof stuff sack for all the weather sensitive gear in the pack instead of a large garbage bag. I am the guy who stuffs it all in the pack, sans stuff sacks, everything weighs something, including stuff sacks.
Last edited by freestone on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I prefer to not put clothing in a stuff sack to fill in all the gaps. More important in a frameless pack, but I find it carries better.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

same is true in a framed pack. I stuff all the extra clothes in the bottom area around the can. My fleece (always carried) is used for the pillow.

as my sleeping bag is strapped on, it's in it's sack. stove and pump, in their sacks. "Extra food" is in a sack that doesn't fit the first day in the can. Do you consider ziplocks a sack as well?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

No, zip lock are baggies!

And yes I like to use my down jacket as a bear can koozie. Keep that cheese nice and cold