Stuff Sacks?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Stuff Sacks?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

All my stuff sacks are sil-nylon.

One small, Eagle Creek zip box-shaped for all the little stuff. Inside the little stuff is organized in sandwich sized zip-lock plastic bags. 1) grooming 2) first aid 3) misc. & repair 4) I-pod and ear buds. Pill bottles just sit in the bag, as does headlamp.

One draw-string bag for my Tarp Tent - the same bag the tent came in - just one - no special bag for stakes or poles. I usually put the tent inside my pack.

Draw-string sleeping bag stuff - sleeping bag and sleeping pad (thermarest prolite x-small). This stuff sack becomes my pillow. I used to put the sleeping bag in a compression bag - do not do that any more - some thoughts that compression bags are not good for down bags.

Clothes compression bag - REI, small. All clothes in it, except rain clothes, which I stuff around everything inside the pack.

I also use a compactor garbage bag to line the inside of my pack.

Maps in a zip-lock freezer bag - sturdier than the sandwich bags

cup, spoon and stove fit inside my titanium pot - just put a rubber band around it and it goes in my pack without a bag. After eating a few days food, all this fits inside the bear can.

Fishing gear is in a small mesh draw-string bag. flies are in an old film canister. Stringer is used to tie around my rod - which I put in a split piece of foam pipe insulation.

My pack has a small zip pocket for driver's license fishing license, permit, car keys.

I buy the brightest colored bags I can find since as I get older my eyes do not work as well and I tend to forget and loose things.
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Post by EpicSteve »

I love the Sea-to-Summit Evac (roll top) dry bags. I have one for my down sleeping bag and two for my clothing. I used a Sharpie and wrote "C" for Camp on one and "T" for Trail on the other, to help me stay organized (that way I don't have to look through long underwear while trying to locate a jacket or a Capilene pullover - I get cold easily, so I carry a lot of clothing). The Evac bags are made from a material that allows you to squeeze the air out after you've secured the roll top closure and doesn't allow the air back in. I've read reviews saying it's too hard to squeeze the air out, but I've found that kneeling on the bag allows me to compact it very tightly.

I also carry a couple of ditty bags for containing smaller items like knife, headlamp, lighter/matches, cord, compass, etc.

When I first started backpacking I just carried basic coated nylon (these days sil nylon would be a better way to go) stuff sacks to keep the cost down. They're much less water resistant though.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

My pack has a lot of compartments, so mostly stuff sacks are not needed. But I do take a light mesh bag to hold various cooking and personal items. Mesh bags are good when you have a lot of miscellaneous stuff as you can see through the mesh to snag the one item you might want instead of digging and dumping.

The mesh is nice at laundry time to carry wet clothes to/from and while I'm clipping them on the tent poles or line to dry. The mesh dries very quickly. And they work well for stashing something you might want chilled in a creek.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

I use homemade cuben stuff sacks for most things.

Small wide/shallow ditty bag for stuff that gets a lot of use; knife, Aqua Mira drops, medication, small bic lighter, eye drops, DEET, sun screen, all repackaged into small containers.

Small bag for first aid and repair.

Small long/flat/wide bag for toilet kit.

Medium for larger less used items; head net, GPS, extra DEET and sunscreen.

Medium for cook kit.

Medium stake sack if using snow anchors.

Large clothes bag.

Large food bag if not in bear country.

Gossamer Gear pack liner if it looks like rain.

Everything else goes in outside pockets or smaller pockets made to fit; SPOT/ID/car key, camera, regular stakes, maps, permit. My packs are homemade so everything is purpose built.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk