Stuff Sacks? | High Sierra Topix  

Stuff Sacks?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Stuff Sacks?

Postby InsaneBoost » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:43 pm

How many of you all have stuff sacks for multiple things? I've been reading and it appears it's a smart idea to have one for your kitchen and one for your clothes. Some say three for extra stuff like a camera, journal, etc.

I assume it would be wise for at least the kitchen and clothes? Are there any brands that are best? Obviously waterproof would be a must. I see Sea to Summit has some, but they run from $22-$50. Is this a good buy for the quality? Better routes?

Should I use a trash bag instead?

Thanks!

InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Re: Stuff Sacks?

Postby maverick » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Depends on your personal style, its like buying a backpack, some folks like to throw
everything into one large compartment, other like have several compartments to
keep things organized to the tee.
All my kitchen gear in my cooking pot, so not sacks needed. Sleeping bag and down
jacket are in a garbage bag at the bottom of my pack, the rest of clothes are stuffed
around my bear canister to keep it stable. Do carry one stuff sack for socks, underwear,
and extra sleepwear, this sack turn into a pillow for the evening.
If I was out on an extended trip or in a wetter area (PNW) then things would change, but
Sierra is pretty easy to deal with.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby InsaneBoost » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Good to know and didn't even think about doing that for a pillow. Good thinking.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Postby austex » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:32 pm

I carry a few. One for cook wear, socks-underwear, first aid and headlamp. Just adds a few ounces all sylnylon (light and pretty waterproof)and double as a stuffed pillow. Color coded so they are easy to sort and keep like things together. Real cheap on Sierra Trading post and Ebay. As Mav says; a personal choice. If it starts to pour, I want to grab my poncho asap and not have to dig for it; or dress a gash in my leg. Sylnylon also can carry water up to camp to filter away from it's source.
austex
Topix Regular

Postby gary c. » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:53 pm

I carry a plastic trash bag to use as a pack liner if needed and to put my pack in if left out in the weather. I also use it to blow up my sleeping pad. I have a dry sack that my down bag and down sweater go into and pack it in the bottom of my pack. I have a stuff sack that I picked just because it has a satin feel to carry my thermals and extra socks in that doubles as a pillow. I've heard of other folks that separate everything into stuff sack for organization but I'm more like Maverick. I like to use everything else to pack around my bear can and to keep things from rattling around.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Expert

Postby The Other Tom » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 am

I use one for my sleeping pad and one for my quilt, mainly to "get the air out" and keep things more compact. I guess it's more of a compression sack than a "stuff" sack. I also line my pack with a trash bag in case of rain.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby freestone » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:12 am

I use a small ditty bag for first aide and personal items and the Snozzle (Exped pad inflator) as a large water proof stuff sack for all the weather sensitive gear in the pack instead of a large garbage bag. I am the guy who stuffs it all in the pack, sans stuff sacks, everything weighs something, including stuff sacks.
Last edited by freestone on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
freestone
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Postby sparky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:04 am

I prefer to not put clothing in a stuff sack to fill in all the gaps. More important in a frameless pack, but I find it carries better.
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby rlown » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:11 pm

same is true in a framed pack. I stuff all the extra clothes in the bottom area around the can. My fleece (always carried) is used for the pillow.

as my sleeping bag is strapped on, it's in it's sack. stove and pump, in their sacks. "Extra food" is in a sack that doesn't fit the first day in the can. Do you consider ziplocks a sack as well?
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby sparky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:32 pm

No, zip lock are baggies!

And yes I like to use my down jacket as a bear can koozie. Keep that cheese nice and cold
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby Wandering Daisy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:19 pm

All my stuff sacks are sil-nylon.

One small, Eagle Creek zip box-shaped for all the little stuff. Inside the little stuff is organized in sandwich sized zip-lock plastic bags. 1) grooming 2) first aid 3) misc. & repair 4) I-pod and ear buds. Pill bottles just sit in the bag, as does headlamp.

One draw-string bag for my Tarp Tent - the same bag the tent came in - just one - no special bag for stakes or poles. I usually put the tent inside my pack.

Draw-string sleeping bag stuff - sleeping bag and sleeping pad (thermarest prolite x-small). This stuff sack becomes my pillow. I used to put the sleeping bag in a compression bag - do not do that any more - some thoughts that compression bags are not good for down bags.

Clothes compression bag - REI, small. All clothes in it, except rain clothes, which I stuff around everything inside the pack.

I also use a compactor garbage bag to line the inside of my pack.

Maps in a zip-lock freezer bag - sturdier than the sandwich bags

cup, spoon and stove fit inside my titanium pot - just put a rubber band around it and it goes in my pack without a bag. After eating a few days food, all this fits inside the bear can.

Fishing gear is in a small mesh draw-string bag. flies are in an old film canister. Stringer is used to tie around my rod - which I put in a split piece of foam pipe insulation.

My pack has a small zip pocket for driver's license fishing license, permit, car keys.

I buy the brightest colored bags I can find since as I get older my eyes do not work as well and I tend to forget and loose things.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby EpicSteve » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:39 am

I love the Sea-to-Summit Evac (roll top) dry bags. I have one for my down sleeping bag and two for my clothing. I used a Sharpie and wrote "C" for Camp on one and "T" for Trail on the other, to help me stay organized (that way I don't have to look through long underwear while trying to locate a jacket or a Capilene pullover - I get cold easily, so I carry a lot of clothing). The Evac bags are made from a material that allows you to squeeze the air out after you've secured the roll top closure and doesn't allow the air back in. I've read reviews saying it's too hard to squeeze the air out, but I've found that kneeling on the bag allows me to compact it very tightly.

I also carry a couple of ditty bags for containing smaller items like knife, headlamp, lighter/matches, cord, compass, etc.

When I first started backpacking I just carried basic coated nylon (these days sil nylon would be a better way to go) stuff sacks to keep the cost down. They're much less water resistant though.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix