What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote: My trekking poles, to use as a splint or with a jacket to make a travois
This only caught my eye because I do not see how you could ever use trekking poles as a travois. Having seen people break them when being mostly vertical, It's not possible to use trekking poles for that purpose. Splint, ok.

Rogue, buck up and join society. See a doctor at least for fun. It'll amuse you. They amuse me everytime i talk to them. :\
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I saw a doctor about 6 years ago. It did not amuse me.

Unlike most people I have things I'm willing to die for. I will never join "this" society.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

" it did not amuse me."
Neither will your Obama bill
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Nope. I already see my future in those regards. I file taxes and says I owe 1200 - stop filing ever again - bill piles up - IRS has no way to get money from me - They come to arrest me - I shoot it out with them.

Thank you Obama care! God bless America! :D

Lol and sorry to derail this thread.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

You can put together a pretty comprehensive first aid kit for less than $10 if you visit your local 99 cent or Dollar Store.

Bandages, tape, Neosporin, aspirin, Ibuprofen, antacid, antidiarrheal, wet wipes, gauze rolls, scissors. Ten bucks.

John
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:
AlmostThere wrote: My trekking poles, to use as a splint or with a jacket to make a travois
This only caught my eye because I do not see how you could ever use trekking poles as a travois. Having seen people break them when being mostly vertical, It's not possible to use trekking poles for that purpose. Splint, ok.

I'ts been done. It was one of the things taught in a basic wilderness first aid I had a few years back.

If you don't use poles some large crooked branches might do the trick.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

RoguePhotonic wrote:
Thought we are all required to have medical coverage by now?)
Doesn't mean all of us will comply with the law. :p
Sure - you can either owe the IRS for life, or join the Christian Science church. An atheist friend goes to Wednesday services haphazardly, to get the letter from the pastor for the religious exemption. Very nice people to hang out with (they referred him to a company that hired him a few weeks later, after 6 months unemployment) and they do not even care if you actually claim their religion, or anyone else's.

Or I guess you could go with the plan and go down in a firefight against the Establishment as planned... I prefer to be just left alone to hike, myself.

Someone without sufficient income probably qualifies for Medi-Cal - it's free, and the restrictions have become less restrictive. Still doesn't pay for a medi-vac, but it beats fines and you don't have to bother going to the doctor.

The fines are actually tiered - it increases to $1200 over three years. I looked it up being on the verge of starting my own business and not caring to pay through the nose for insurance until I could afford to. $369 for an annual fine, or $350 / month for insurance. Math and pragmatism win - I would have just taken the fine or gotten medi-cal (not uncommon to go in the hole in the first year of business for some things).

And, I would have been able to hike more, increasing the risk of wilderness incidents.... I must be charmed indeed to not ever have to be evacuated considering how many people I've hiked with over the years and how many risks have been taken.... The older I get, the more aches and pains, the fewer risks. Mortality sucks.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

A small roll of Gauze, a square of moleskin, some 2x2 band aids, Neosporin, vitamin I, 8 ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide as a disinfectant that doubles for oral hygiene, a toothbrush, dental floss that can double for thread, a needle to sew or remove thorns, a small set of nail nippers, and a pair of emergency room scissors.

I would also now consider my SPOT device, Light My Fire Swedish Fire Knife, some cotton soaked in mineral oil (fire starter), and denatured alcohol for the stove as a peripheral part of the kit now.

I don't know how to suture or do minor surgery so I leave all that stuff out of the kit.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would recommend that as one get's into their 50's to start including aspirin too, could
save your life if used correctly.

Let's keep the thread on topic please.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

I've found medical tape to be much more effective than moleskin for hot spots and early blisters. In my experience, moleskin never stays on. I attribute this to the “fuzzy” top surface which tends to grip to my socks, so any sock movement within my boot will move the moleskin. Do they make moleskin with a slick top surface? If you need the moleskin padding, then I would recommend putting a layer of medical tape over the moleskin. The medical tape I use is from Target and it has a slick surface. It stays on even after a dip in the lake, though I would recommend replacing if wet. And with a roll of this, you don’t have to worry about running out.