Gear List For Backpacking

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Gear List For Backpacking

Post by Bluewater »

Looks like a good list. I have used an Osprey Aether 70 in the past and I agree it was a comfortable load hauler. The heat molded hip belt was a nice feature. Unfortunately the old model weighed over 6 lbs empty! It looks like the current 85 is over 5 lbs.

In my experience using lightweight gear was essential on the JMT, especially on the big passes (Muir, Mather, Glen, Forester, Trail Crest).

Using a postal scale has already been mentioned. I also found it really helpful. I realize that much of this is based on individual preference.

An estimate of your base pack weight is probably more like 35 lbs (before food, water and fuel). 54 lbs+ with food for 10 days (1.5 lbs/day minimum) and 2 liters of water.

Osprey Aether 85: 5 lbs
Osprey UL cover: 6 ozs
4 person tent: 6 1/2 lbs
WM Ponderosa 15 degree bag: 2 lbs 11 ozs
X lite: 1 lb
Pillow: 3-8 ozs
Jetboil: 1/2 lb
Fuel canisters empty: 1/2 lb
Headlamp: 3 ozs
MSR Dromedary 7 ozs
MSR filter: 1/2 lb
Nalgene bottle for the filter: 6 ozs
Bear vault: 2 1/2 lbs

Some of the other little things add up quickly:

Ground sheet
Compass
Camera
PLB (SPOT?)
Trekking poles
Sun hat
Sunscreen
DEET
Toothbrush/paste
Small pack towel
Bandana
Rain jacket and pants or poncho
Clothes: down jacket, wind shell, hat, gloves, extra socks, extra base layers

These will add at least 15 lbs.

Some less expensive and weight saving options: Zpacks Arc Blast, ULA, MLD backpacks, save 3 lbs. 2 person tent, save 3-4 lbs. Alcohol or esbit stove, save 3/4 lb. Aqua Mira water treatment will save over 3/4 lb. 2 x 1 liter plastic water bottles instead of Nalgene and MSR dromedary, save 10 ozs. Bearikade Weekender (available for rent based on trail days only), save 1/2 lb. Photon Freedom LED flashlight, save 2 ozs. WM Summerlite or Megalite should be plenty warm on the JMT, if cold wear base layers and down jacket, save 1 1/2 lbs. Use poncho or lightweight pack cover, save up to 6 ozs. Exped UL inflatable pillow, save 3-5 ozs.

These options would help save over 12 1/2 lbs and some $.

If you're interested I put together a list of lightweight backpacking essentials. There are details and links to help find stuff:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... tials.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 lb JMT gear list:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... -list.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks, I'll take a look and edit some of my stuff.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

hey nice list....agree with others though....get a lighter tent when you can. :thumbsup:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I see you have not yet bought cook gear. It depends on if you plan on only boiling water or really cooking. I have a solo cup and a nesting set of titanium cookware. The one I use the most, even when solo, is the smallest of the three nesting pots - believe it is a 1 qt pot with lid. It is a good all-round size - solo and good for real cooking for two people also. I also like it because I can use it as a wash bowl too.

One advantage of cooking, vs boiling water for freeze dried food, is that the bulk of your food is significantly less if you really cook. Freeze dry food is light weight but bulky. On the JMT you need to get everything in your bear can. I can get 8-9 days in my Bearikade Weekender if I am careful with bulk of food. For example, I use a lot of cous-cous - it is very compact, only needs boiling water. I also use Malt-o-Meal vs oatmeal - it is about 1/3 less volume for the same calories. Most "instant" food is a 2:1 ration of water:dry food. Non-instant is about 3:1 ratio. Some non-instant is still pretty quick - I only cook regular oatmeal 2-3 minutes and then let it sit in a cozy to finish cooking. Granted, you use more fuel, but the fuel does not have to go inside the bear can.

By the way, you can make your own "cozy" with the blue foam sleeping pad or with silver insulation. I cut the top off an old wool sock and use that for my coffee cup.

I like titanium pots, but aluminum pots are much cheaper and light, and really quite good. Stainless steel are much heavier.

If you get a Jet-boil, I would hesitate to get the skinny small one, if cooking for two people.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Good list, but sometimes it is not everything you bring, but what you leave behind that can make the trip more pleasurable! For example, in your case, shorter trips with your girlfriend, I might suggest that you not double up on equipment when possible. Share your bear canister, cookset, and water filter system. Scales have been mentioned, food scales are under $20 on Amazon, or a postal scale. Keeping an itemized spreadsheet of everything you carry, with its weight will help you to not forget anything, and not carry what is not really necessary. Clothes is another way to save unnecessary weight- you don't need changes of clothes, just a good layer system, and maybe a spare pair of socks. As you go on each trip, you can revise your list, leaving home stuff you never used, or adding other things that proved important, or upgrading equipment to lower weight stuff. It is not that hard to get backpacking weight down to the low 20's per person, including food and water for a weekend trip, and mid 30's for a 10 day trip is quite doable, and still be quite safe and well equipped. This is about what I carry, and my total includes fishing gear and a camera w/case. Ultralight backpackers would wonder why I carry that much weight.
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by caddis »

A lot of weight decisions depend on what kind of trip you have in mind

Bluewater added this list, and I add my adjustments and comments:

Osprey Aether 85: 5 lbs
Osprey UL cover: 6 ozs
4 person tent: 6 1/2 lbs
WM Ponderosa 15 degree bag: 2 lbs 11 ozs
X lite: 1 lb
Pillow: 3-8 ozs Ditch the pillow and use extra clothes or pack
Jetboil: 1/2 lb I believe it's 13 oz
Fuel canisters empty: 1/2 lb
Headlamp: 3 ozs
MSR Dromedary 7 ozs
MSR filter: 1/2 lb The sawyer mini is dirt cheap and 2 oz ...google it
Nalgene bottle for the filter: 6 ozs If you are cutting weight, consider Gatorade bottles
Bear vault: 2 1/2 lbs - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12073#sthash.6qLyi5Ro.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would Lurk on Backpacking Light for ideas http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember: grams lead to ounces and ounces lead to pounds