In need of a new tent.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: In need of a new tent.

Post by maverick »

Bluewater wrote:
If using trekking poles I like the SMD Skyscape X (14.5 ozs) for a solo tent or a Zpacks
Hexamid (8 ozs/no beak) solo tent.
Was looking at these two tent, read some good reviews on both, especially the SMD, but
$550 is just a little to steep, though am still considering it, especially now that they have
added another door. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

The expense factor is the biggest drawback. Looked at ZPacks and Cuben Fibre is a stunner $ wise. Most likely will have to bite the bullet as going lighter is where it is at the older I get.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

In need of a new tent.

Post by Bluewater »

The cuben fiber bling can get expensive. SMD has three versions of the Skyscape. The Skyscape Trekker is more reasonable at $225, but it weighs about a 1/2 lb more than the cuben fiber version. A good value considering they essentially charge $340 to save 8 ozs.

I like the addition of the second door on the latest Skyscape X, but it's hard to justify the price increase to $565. I got one of the less expensive ones last year. One less door, but 2 ozs lighter.

SMD has a few other one man shelters available for around $200.

Another less expensive option is the MLD Solomid. I use just the tarp in the winter and it's a very stable shelter due to the inverted 'V' trekking pole frame. The silnylon version is $195 and weighs 15.5 ozs (8 ozs in cuben). The inner net is $145 and adds 9 ozs (only 6 ozs with a cuben floor). I've slept through 16 hour storms at high altitude in a Solomid. $330 for the silnylon Solomid and inner net tent.

Using cuben this option weighs less than the Skyscape X and has a modular design (use the tarp, tarp and inner net or just inner net) but it's more expensive ($590 for cuben Solomid and inner net with cuben floor. Ouch)
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Ouch is exactly right. It has made me a little gun shy about pulling the trigger so far.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Finally found this review, might be helpful to you in making a decision: http://hikelighter.com/2011/12/29/sulxu ... mparisons/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Thanks Mav, checking it out. Whatever tent it turns out to be it will hopefully be the last one I'll need.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Let us know which one you decide on, and write up a review on it please.

longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

So much depends on what you want in a shelter. It's impossible to give informed recommendations without knowing that.

I have a 5 lb tent and an 8 oz tent, both perfect in different situations.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

whrdafamI, would you like to try out a double rainbow tarptent? I can tell you they're hot in direct sun, but very nice for ventilation at night and no leaks (seam sealed). Let me know and I can loan you mine for a trip.

Russ
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I just got back from a trip with my brand new REI Quarter Dome 3 and that tent is pretty amazing. It's easily the lightest tent I've ever carried, at barely over 4 lbs, and incredibly roomy (it really could easily fit three full sized people and gear; there were just two of us using it) and very nicely thought out in its layout. I didn't have to go through bad weather but I've heard from others who have gotten through some good storms in I imagine their 2-person is still a plenty roomy 2-person tent and I'm sure it is even lighter than the QD3. To give you an idea of just how light it is, when I brought it home I was initially concerned that there was something missing because it just seemed way lighter than it should, so I pitched it in the bedroom and discovered that in fact everything was in place. We'll see how this stands up to wear and tear over the years on hard trips, but as of now this looks to be the best tent I've ever owned.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;