In need of a new tent. | High Sierra Topix  

In need of a new tent.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

In need of a new tent.

Postby whrdafamI? » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 pm

I bought a Big Agnes Flycreek UL2 a couple years ago but had not used it till this year. Initially I was impressed with it but after a night of steady rain I was less than impressed. I returned it to REI. I have been looking at Six Moons Design Lunar Duo. Anyone have any experience with these or have any other recommendations? Also have looked at Double Rainbows.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Re: In need of a new tent.

Postby fishhunter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Well you might be leery of another Big Agnes but just had a new B/A Copper Creek UL2 out on first trip, and it survived a 5 hour hail/rainstorm with no problems. I really light the weight and size of it, expected to be less than impressed with durability (e.g. snagging zippers, etc.) but was as good as my previous Kelty Gunnison 2 at half the weight.
fishhunter
Topix Acquainted

Postby oldranger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 am

Have used both fly creek and copper spur tents in multiple storms with no issues. Did you seal the seams first? Not sure there is much variation in the silicone impregnated fabric used by different tent makers for the UL tents.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby whrdafamI? » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Not going to dog on BA as to what was wrong. Just wasn't for me. Interesting results. 73 views and only one suggestion? Wrong forum? Wrong question? Oh well.

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Postby maverick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 pm

The Tarptent is a little more stable because of the lower profile, but still needs some
extra guyline options, Six Moons is very roomy, 34 sq ft, but the higher profile doesn't
do as well in high winds. Tarptent is tighter for 2, 29.3 ft, but also lighter by 4 oz
even with the floor option. Both need more vents (high) for better air circulation.
I have the Rainbow (not Double) and like it a lot, only wish it came seam sealed.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby whrdafamI? » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Thank you Maverick, I appreciate yours and the others advice.

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Postby freestone » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Whrda, I would wait till next season when Hilleberg comes out with the Enan, an updated version of the Akto.
freestone
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Postby whrdafamI? » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:37 am

FS, that would require spending more than I really care to but appreciate the suggestion. I checked out the Akto and they are very nice.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 am

I highly recommend Lightheart Gear. My solo withstood some serious pounding rain, while I was standing under a sugar pine getting drenched right through a three layer Goretex jacket. A small stream ran under the tent but it kept everything dry. The ventilation is top notch. Judy makes these domestically.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby whrdafamI? » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 am

AT, I will check them out. Thank you.

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Postby fishmonger » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:25 am

fishhunter wrote:Well you might be leery of another Big Agnes but just had a new B/A Copper Creek UL2 out on first trip, and it survived a 5 hour hail/rainstorm with no problems. I really light the weight and size of it, expected to be less than impressed with durability (e.g. snagging zippers, etc.) but was as good as my previous Kelty Gunnison 2 at half the weight.

I've used a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 for 4 full Muir Trails (two of them aborted yo-yo's), about 80 nights in the Sierra, experienced everything from no wind and calm to 7 inches of slush and hail, 60mph winds, etc. Love the tent. Never missed a beat, nothing has failed, not even a single stitch in the material has failed. Poles snap together like new.

Good ventilation, easy setup, light (5 pounds for a roomy 3 person tent, comes in 1 and 2 person sizes too). The poles almost assemble themselves, plenty of guy-out lines, functional zippers, room for gear on both sides, storage space in small hanging pocket. The tent material is too thin to get much shade should you need it in the bright son, so we throw our tyvek over the top of it.

drawbacks: even on ebay, this was almost $300, while REI wants a ridiculous $500 for it. Made in China.

My other single person BA tent is poorly designed. I never use it. Going on ebay. So it's probably a hit and miss with their stuff.
fishmonger
Topix Expert

In need of a new tent.

Postby Bluewater » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:27 pm

I prefer using the lightest possible options that are still functional, safe and comfortable. If using trekking poles I like the SMD Skyscape X (14.5 ozs) for a solo tent or a Zpacks Hexamid (8 ozs/no beak) solo tent. Each has it's advantages. I've been through storms at high altitude in both and the Skyscape is much more stable due to the inverted V trekking pole 'frame'. It also includes a bathtub floor where the Hexamid requires a groundsheet.

The SMD Haven with inner net tent is 26 ozs and it is among the lightest two person tents available. It is the lightest two person tent with two doors, two vestibules and modular design. With the tarp and inner net tent it is functions as a double wall tent. I use the tarp by itself in the snow and just the net tent in the summer (when there is no weather). My wife and I made it through a heavy thunderstorm, totally exposed by Wanda Lake, and were fine. I've never heard hail come down so hard. Plenty of room for two plus gear.

For a 'freestanding' tent I like the Big Sky Evolution 2P/2D/2V. At just under three lbs it is the lightest freestanding two person tent with two doors and two vestibules. The two door design is good for late night breaks, without waking the other person. There is plenty of room for two full size Neo Air pads with room to spare for gear, and extra room under the vestibules. The window at the foot end is a nice touch. The quality is top notch and it has received the highest reviews at BPL.

Have fun shopping.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix