Backpacking Shoes Needed

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking Shoes Needed

Post by maverick »

Maiathebee wrote:
Did you try the Salomon Quest 4D GTX?
Don't wear mid or full boots, Salomons usually are to wide for my narrow
feet, especially the ankles.
Tried Keens and Vasques today, Keens to wide, Vasques toe box to narrow. :\
Thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Like Richard, I have been a fan of the Inov8 Roclite 295 for several years, despite some questionable changes in the construction as the shoe "evolved." This week I purchased my 6th and 7th pair. Last week my fifth pair continued to serve me well hiking the JMT in Lyell Canyon, going cross country to the glacier, crossing the glacier, and then ascending some rock to the summit of Mt Lyell (June30).

After some use, my small toes tend to protrude through the side of these shoes. However, other than cosmetically, this does not present much of a problem for continued use.

They dry so quickly in typical Sierra weather, that I do not hesitate to wear in water while crossing streams.

I know my size in this shoe, so the purchase this week was at Amazon with a 35% discount.

Good luck in the search for a shoe that works for you.

Jim
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Jim F.
The problem with purchasing shoes on-line is that walking around the house in them
tells me nothing about the way they will preform on talus, scree, creek crossings, mixed
wet terrain, or miles of talus with a pack.
REI at least will allow them to be returned, but again they have such a limited selection
of shoes.
Have tried several shoes over the decade by on-line purchasing, none worked, even
though they were highly touted in one or even two of the major outdoor magazines
(Backpacker and Outside). :\

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Have you checked out the Saucony Xodus 4.0s? My local REI has the GTX (Gore-tex) version, which I tried on recently, and they felt a tad more substantial than something like the Brooks Cascadia 9s. I actually ended up with the Cascadias, but if those are too minimal then I'm going to try the Xodus next. They have a really nice grippy Vibram outsole and of course, plastic rock guard plates.

REI link: http://www.rei.com/product/856684/sauco ... shoes-mens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saucony link: http://www.saucony.com/en/xodus-4.0/12032M.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Maverick,

I only purchase a shoe on-line if it has previously passed a performance test: I have actually used the shoe in real conditions and it performs and fits adequately (hence, I know the correct size to order).

I have had the same experience as you when initially buying them in person after a short test wearing them about the store. Frequently, despite the advertising blitz and the initial satisfaction with them walking on the level rug at the sports store, the shoe subsequently bombs in the real world. The marriage then quickly ends in divorce, perhaps costing me $100. But, then some of my friends wish their divorces were that cheap! Since our feet are our transportation in the Sierras, squandering a reasonable amount of money searching for a decent shoe probably is not the end of the world.

In pursuit of the perfect shoe,

Jim
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

maverick wrote:Don't wear mid or full boots, Salomons usually are to wide for my narrow
feet, especially the ankles.
Thanks.
Whoops, I missed that in your original post. Well... I guess all I can offer then is wishes of good luck in your hunt.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
larry1
Topix Acquainted

Post by larry1 »

You have tried Cascadias, try Brooks Beast, a stability running shoe designed for over pronators that are great (for me) on trails and some off trail with a 25 lb pack. Any heavier pack and rougher terrain I go with boots. Don't rule out lightweight boots. Also, get hold of some of the more knowledgeable manufacturer reps of hiking shoes that can fit you correctly. Track down a local podiatrist that hikes.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Have you tried any on the 5.10 approach shoes? I use the Camp Fours for day-hiking and have found them quite stable and comfy with Superfeet insoles.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Backpacking Shoes Needed

Post by AlmostThere »

Approach shoes for hiking? They'll wear out in no time. Those soles are not meant to be durable and the last doesn't give much rigidity - my pair rides in the pack until they are needed. It would kill my feet to hike in them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My La Sportiva Ultra Raptors performed quite well for the HST Meet-up, sticky
enough to boulder, enough cushioning to prevent foot fatigue, but not so much
that you do not feel the terrain. Plenty of toe protection, and the toe box is
pretty spacious to prevent toe jamming on steep descents.
My only grip, which for these type of shoes on this type of terrain is normal, is
durability is only okay, soles looked worn, and the are below the toes got punctured
leaving a hole in the shoe. :\