Tarps Are Worthless | High Sierra Topix  

Tarps Are Worthless

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Re: Tarps Are Worthless

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:08 am

Tents are worthless, unless you set them up right.

Hay is worthless, unless you use it for something other than the furniture.

:p

AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Experience: N/A

Clothes Are Worthless

Postby balance » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:36 am

Since this went over so well, I'm preparing another topic: Clothes Are Wortheless.

When everyone reads this and agrees, can you picture the HST meet-up: Hundreds of beautiful, naked people cavorting in the granite fields? :eek:
balance
Topix Regular

Postby rlown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:06 pm

balance wrote:Since this went over so well, I'm preparing another topic: Clothes Are Wortheless.

Might want to pick another topic. Naked is not good at altitude except for short periods like washing and in the water or in a tent; pretty sure we all know that. UV is not friendly, nor are the bugs. But, do what you will.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Wandering Daisy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:49 pm

Silly posts are worthless.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby maverick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 pm

balance wrote:
Since this went over so well, I'm preparing another topic: Clothes Are Wortheless.

So would be that topic. :\
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Clothes Are Worthless

Postby balance » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I initiated a lively discussion on the pros and cons of tarps. To keep things conversational and friendly rather than becoming argumentative, I employed humor and hyperbole. It was a spirited discussion yet no one took things too seriously. The resulting comments which people made were interesting and very informative.

Following some light hearted banter about using hay bales as furniture, I suggested that everyone would agree with the topic "Clothes Are Worthless". I'm a bit surprised anyone would take this literally. But since three people took it so seriously, it seems advisable to leave all frivolity, irony or jocularity out of any future posts. Just to be safe.
balance
Topix Regular

Postby longri » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Maybe you should choose a different avatar.

I did enjoy this thread. But I wish it had included pictures. Tales of enjoying serious weather in a tarp or a bivy sack come across a little too much like fish stories.
longri
Topix Expert

Tarps Are Worthless

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 am

I kind of liked the thread - had I wanted to sap it of humor I could have talked about alternate uses while using tarps on a SAR. But I find that mentioning body parts kills the conversation, generally speaking.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby Wandering Daisy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 am

Perhaps we need a separate forum "Laugh for the Day", so if humor is intended, those of us who interpreted the subject as serious (yet presented with a little humor), would not waste our time replying. I suggest that next time you intend humor put in a few of those smilies with winks, smiles, and blinking eyes so we can all be on the same page.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Tarps Are Worthless

Postby Bluewater » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Longri mentioned wanting to see some photos of tarp shelters in bad weather.

This one was taken near Lake Marjorie after a thunderstorm had passed:

And after a storm near Lake 12,280 in Ionian Basin:

If you're interested this video shows the actual conditions during the storm at Lake Marjorie. Things really opened up at 1:15. Pardon my brief use of impolite language.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A9BObykKiFI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Postby DoyleWDonehoo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 pm

Wandering Daisy wrote:About five years later the ultra light tents arrive. For 2 pounds I now can have the comfort of a tent with a weight not much more than a bivy. Not free-standing, but that is fine with me. I do miss star gazing at night. And I am a bit frustrated with the size of the tent location that I need.

For the last ~10 years I have been using a Nomad tent: two hiking poles, three stakes-outs (2 in a pinch), good head room, proof against bugs, easy to set up. The company went out of business long ago, and the last few years the tent has picked up too many holes, so I needed a new one.
Fortunately, LightHeart makes tents very similar to the Nomad, only they greatly improved the design. (See: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php ... t/view/5/3). I just got a LightHeart Solo-Custom tent to replace my Nomad. It packs only slightly larger than my Nomad and is slightly heavier, but that is because of some greatly needed reinforcement in the design, and should suffer less from condensation with their new additional fly. Still, it is a very small packed tent that weighs very little. WD, you would like the fact that the flys can be tied off making the shelter basically a bug screen enclosure that you can see the stars through.
I could probably do a pictorial review of the LightHeard tent if there is interest.
Attachments
Nomad.jpg
My old Nomad tent.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Postby longri » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Bluewater, you must be joking, right?

That first photo looks so calm and serene. The second one is a little wintery but no storm happening. And isn't that a pyramid tent instead of a tarp? I think there's a distinction.

The youtube video was hilarious. The hail was so slight that the narrator had to ask if we could even see it. And there was virtually no wind. What I want to see is a video of a driving rainstorm, with big gusty winds, and some guy under a flat tarp, sans bivy sack, who is warm and dry and smiling.
longri
Topix Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix