Backpack with a wheel

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpack with a wheel

Post by rlown »

wheels would be great, right up until you hit the water bars. Up and down would suck. Sand would suck as well. Mud more, but the bad kind of mud isn't really up there.

In waterfowl hunting, we do that sometimes with the duck carts. 16" hard wheels on a cart, and at Sutter bypass area, you have to move your cart down the levy, over 15 steps down, over a floating bridge, and then back up 15 steps.

Broke two carts on those crossings in the last 3 years.

Same or more would hold for High Sierra water bars.

Good luck with the wheel theory.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

rlown wrote:Good luck with the wheel theory.
Yeah, I hear you. But this guy -- and he didn't look even remotely disabled -- appeared to be doing quite well. There were some pretty rocky sections on the trail and I wonder how he did on those. I'm guessing with that big wheel he did okay.

Maybe he had some sort of spinal issue. When I asked him about the wheel he just said a ranger told him it was okay, not that it was okay for someone disabled.

Whatever. Horses, wheels, iPods, drones. 38 million people.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

RoguePhotonic wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:Trail workers sometimes get exception permits else they would not be able to use.chainsaws in the parks. I have seen wheelbarrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The parks set their own rules in a way and just get around the laws. Most likely because they have paid crews and they know you wont get any production following the wilderness act.

The rest of us trail workers only get exceptions to the law in extreme circumstances that normally involve an object obstructing the trail that is an extreme hazard and the only reasonable way to remove it is with power tools. Even then it often takes a year or many in order to get the permission
I belong to a trail crew operating in Dinkey Wilderness - they don't have to work that hard to get the exception permit.
SouthMark
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Backpack with a wheel

Post by SouthMark »

longri wrote:
rlown wrote:Good luck with the wheel theory.
Yeah, I hear you. But this guy -- and he didn't look even remotely disabled -- appeared to be doing quite well. There were some pretty rocky sections on the trail and I wonder how he did on those. I'm guessing with that big wheel he did okay.

Maybe he had some sort of spinal issue. When I asked him about the wheel he just said a ranger told him it was okay, not that it was okay for someone disabled.

Whatever. Horses, wheels, iPods, drones. 38 million people.
The Dixon pack is somewhat of a traditional backpack with a wheel. It has a regular pack suspension and the wheel will fold up out of the way for "for pretty rocky sections" etc.