Sleeping Bags for Two?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sleeping Bags for Two?

Post by BSquared »

I though I'd pop this up, just in case there was somebody out there with info who hadn't seen it. I'm kind of hoping to make a purchase for a Christmas present, to encourage my spouse to think of hiking for next season...
Anybody have recommendations for good sleeping bags for two? Any configuration considered... For <insert arbitrarily large number> years now, my spouse and I have been sleeping in an ancient square Eddy Bauer bag zipped to an equally ancient REI, both down. They're cozy, but, well, ancient, and they're getting nearly impossible to zip. They're also really heavy. The neat thing is that the REI bag is quite warm and the EB less so, so by switching which bag is on top we get pretty good warm/cold weather coverage. Even more years ago, I had a pair of left-zip/right-zip Frostline bags that worked pretty well, but they were both mummy-style so the feet got sort of cramped, although they were *superb* in weather cold and/or windy enough to require using the hoods. What experience have other couples out there had with more recent sleeping "hardware?"
thumper34
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Big Agnes King Soloman

Post by thumper34 »

Best I've tried by a long shot. Okay, demo'd in a store only, but it was super nice.

15 degree bag ~ 5.5 lbs.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bags.php?id=ks