Effective Mosquito Repellant

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Fota
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Effective Mosquito Repellant

Post by Fota »

Does anyone know an effective and reliable mosquito repellant that actually works? I have been using things like DEET and lemongrass and they don't seem to work.

Also, I noticed a strange paradox regarding mosquitos in the Sierras. It seems like the most remote areas off of trails where few people visit contain the most mosquitos. Has anyone else noticed this too?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Effective Mosquito Repellant

Post by maverick »

Hi Fota,

May get some alternative ideas in dealing with those blood suckers by reading this: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... t=mosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also from the CDC: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/ ... arthropods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "work." Some folks think the bugs shouldn't even come near you when you're wearing the repellant.

I use 30% DEET sparingly and only on sleeves/hands - my hat and a headnet do the work for my face. When the mosquitos are really, really bad, they will land on DEET treated surfaces but they don't bite.

The "naturals" like lemon eucalyptus don't really work much for more than a few minutes. Folks who use 100% DEET melt things and figure out it works about as well as 30% DEET. And none of 'em work at all on flies or gnats. I'm doubtful DEET turns ticks around either; seen them walk across DEET treated clothing. For those, I get the permethrin soaked clothing in play.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I think noseeums like deet!
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If i read this exchange correctly, this topic has been done to death and we should put new responses on the older thread. which maybe should just be combined.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

rlown wrote:If i read this exchange correctly, this topic has been done to death and we should put new responses on the older thread. which maybe should just be combined.
Why arn't you just a moderator so you can take care if this stuff? I'll nominate you for the position, now we just need a second!
I'm no suture for my future.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

As an alternative to DEET a lot of my friends have been using "Skin So Soft" from AVON. They say it works great. I'm going to at least give it a try this season.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but saw this has been talked about "to death" so didn't want to start a new thread.

Are the DEET repellant good to use in campgrounds? As in no scent for bears to be attracted to? Or would that be a mistake putting on and not washing off before bed?

Noticed quite a few mosquitoes at the Yosemite Creek Campground, and while I know you can't ever get rid of them completely, I'd like to have something that will work good enough to keep them away, without having to worry about a bear coming.

Should I look at DEET (and what specific brand)? Or another product? I saw another similar product called "Adventure Medical Ben's 30% Deet Tick & Insect Repellent," anyone use it?
ucangler
Topix Acquainted

Post by ucangler »

In the cases where I HAD to use Deet, it always worked.

In the case of bears, I think there are more smells on your campsite that will attract bears than the deet on you. I've heard that bears don't care for deet. It doesn't smell of food to them.
tripdog
Topix Newbie

Post by tripdog »

I've always used DEET 100% spray and I've had mixed results over the years. I just took a trip to Yellowstone and Teton NPs and took some new stuff with me called Ultrathon. And with the mosquitos clouds up in YNP it worked way better than my trusty deet ever did. This stuff has Deet in it but it's a cream and I'm not too sure what other ingredients. It seemed to work far better for some reason than the 100% deet spray, no idea why. But I'm convinced!

We still used 100% deet on our t-shirts and other clothes but the Ultrathon really worked for us.