Effective Mosquito Repellant

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Effective Mosquito Repellant

Post by JWreno »

I like to have multiple options. I keep a wind shirt and shell pants available for easy access. I also have a hat and bug net. If I have a very hot climb upwards through mosquito hell, I will just cover my arms, legs and such and keep the shell stuff in the pack since I will be overheated and drenched with the shell gear on. If I am higher and cooler I prefer the shell gear over the Deet. If I use Deet, I always try to plan on a bear can sponge bath to get the stuff off later. My wife always has to remove the sun screen at the end of the day anyway so we usually plan on filling a bear can full of waters and using a dip cup and handy wipe to wash the days grunge off before putting on the warm gear in the Evening.

We don't cook on the trail and usually pick sites for their breeze and views and try not to camp in bug hell. We carry 3 MSR bags and fill them a little while before choosing to camp away from bugs and water. This gives us enough water to get through the night and get started on the trail in the morning.

We use the liquid 100% Deet bottles and keep them in a ziplock to prevent damage if the bottle leaks.
Jeff