Synthetic sleeping bags

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Synthetic sleeping bags

Post by js hill »

I have a couple of North Face synthetic filled (polyester) sleeping bags. Unfortunately they were packed in their stuff sacks for several months and they have lost much of their "loft". Is there a way to bring back the loft? I know putting a down sleeping bag in a dryer on low heat with a tennis ball or two helps bring back the loft but I don't know if anything can be done for synthetic filled bags. These bags are about 6 years old or so. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, js hill
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Synthetic sleeping bags

Post by AlmostThere »

Once the fibers break down, there's not a way to repair them. Rejuvenating a down bag, if a turn in the dryer works, means you're drying out the down that's gotten a little damp, restoring the loft. There's no way to rejuvenate a down bag in which the down has degraded to the point the fluff is actually damaged - same scenario as a synthetic that's broken down. But, a well cared for down item will last for years - which is why I bit the bullet and got it once I understood the equation - I go out a lot, and I'd be replacing it every year with all the packing and repacking I do.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

lay out the synth bag. let it rest. measure the height. Throw it in the dryer with no heat, and a couple of clean sneakers. give it 40 mins; check every 10 mins to make sure it didn't just wrap up in a big ball. . take it out. re-measure the height. If it magically inflated, then the loft is back. If it didn't, well, you know the answer.

Assuming these were clean when packed. If not wash first and let them air dry. then do the above.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

I agree with AlmostThere. It's over for your bag. Synthetics just don't last that long unfortunately. With a down bag leaving it stuffed for a long time won't even hurt it provided it's dry. But synthetics just yearn to be less fluffy. My synthetic bag is so pathetic. It saved my butt a couple of times sleeping in the rain with all my clothes and belongings already soaked.

But why not stick it in the dryer just for laughs? Maybe it will work. You could also try a hot sauce and vinegar soak for it. Or put it under a large crystal pyramid for a few weeks. It can't hurt.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the crystal does work :) sometimes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

PM sent. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

why a pm? Mav, do you possess magic powers we shouldn't know about? Seems to be a pretty simple thread..

It involves crystals, doesn't it. :D
larry1
Topix Acquainted

Post by larry1 »

Find the North Face customer service number and ask for the technical geeks. I would also contact other sleeping bag manufacturers and get their possible solutions. This is not the first time this has happened.
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

I contacted North Face and talked with a customer service rep. She told me to ship the two bags to them along with a repair page (downloaded from their website) and North Face would replace the synthetic fibers at no charge. It will take 4 to 8 weeks. North Face also repaired an old V-23 tent that was almost 30 years old for me a couple of years ago. Can't beat their product warranty. js hill
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

WOW 10+ on the c/s! W/B like a new bag!