Lugging that heavy car key

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
phunhog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lugging that heavy car key

Post by phunhog »

It must be my surfing background but I always stash my keys in my "secret spot". I figure that if I have done it thousands of times in a busy beach parking lot..... an isolated trailhead far from the big city should be at least that safe. My biggest worry with carrying them would be LOSING THE KEY somewhere along the trip!! :eek:
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Locked up.......
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

After driving a dozen or so miles down a dirt road into the backcountry I took my key off my key ring and clip it inside the top pocket of my pack and stash the rest of the keys out of site inside of my SUV. On returning to my Sequoia three days later we found ourselves locked out because in my hurry I had pulled my Nissan PU key off by mistake and taken it for a 20ml walk for nothing. After trying to use a piece of bailing wire as a slim jim and a few other things we gave up. I pulled the duck tape off all the trekking poles and covered the rear side passenger window and broke it with a rock. It didn't cost as much as I thought it would but I still get ribbed by my buddies every trip.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
phunhog
Topix Novice

Post by phunhog »

So has anyone ever heard someone car being stolen from a Sierra TH? Break-ins I can see but you don't need a key for that :mad: I guess I am just not that worried about someone stealing a 10 year old truck from a somewhat remote trailhead.
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

My 18 year old Honda has been broken into 3 times. Nothing has been stolen.
Once during the monsoon season so the interior is falling apart from rain effects. The headliner is falling down and I can't roll the passenger side window up or down. So I have a good trailhead car that is (now) left alone. Every time the car was at a deserted trailhead and in late Fall.
Every time the car has gotten me home.
I am not sure what to make of that history but I still take the key.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

balzaccom wrote:Do you carry your car keys with you on the trail, or you do hide them at the car? There is no point to carrying extra weight, and car keys certainly fall into that category. I leave all of my keys in the car EXCEPT the car key itself. That goes in my pack.
I carry car key only, in the same place, in my pack, every trip. Rest of my keys are hidden inside the car, out of site. Never had a car broken into at trailhead. "knock on wood" :wink:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

my sweet '64 chevy impala was broken into at Carson Pass in the late 70's. They pried open trunk and smashed a rear window (4 door). My complete craftsman toolset was in the trunk. Nothing in the passenger compartment. They took nothing.

Ranger said it was usually people looking for money on their way to Nevada. Still had my key, and a bit of a windy ride home.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

My Mini Cooper has a plastic emergency key. It probably weighs less than 5 grams. The fancy remote key fob thingie stays locked in the car for when we come back.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

fishmonger wrote:My Mini Cooper has a plastic emergency key.
Have you tested it?

A friend had a plastic key from AAA and I suggested that maybe we try it first before relying on it. It twisted off in the door!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tom wrote:
My 18 year old Honda has been broken into 3 times. Nothing has been stolen.
Once during the monsoon season so the interior is falling apart from rain effects.
The headliner is falling down and I can't roll the passenger side window up or down.
So I have a good trailhead car that is (now) left alone. Every time the car was at a
deserted trailhead and in late Fall.
Darn Tom, really sorry to read this, that really sucks! :(

Longri wrote:
Have you tested it?

A friend had a plastic key from AAA and I suggested that maybe we try it first before relying on
it. It twisted off in the door!
Know someone too that this has happened .
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org