Side, Back, or Stomach?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Side, Back, or Stomach?

Post by maverick »

Thanks for reminding Rogue, the neck pain can be much worse! :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

It just doesnt affect my lower back, I just have my sleeping pad under me, thats it :)

I turn my feet sideways and it just feels super comfortable.
larroyo33
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by larroyo33 »

The stomach sleeping has not given me any problems with my back. The problems have been with my upper body. Prior to adopting my 2 pad system, I had multiple nights of waking up at 2 or 3 in morning with my arms and ribs on one side throbbing in pain.

Rogue, I hear you about that neck pain. That happens to me sometimes, not in the Sierras so far thankfully. I think with sleeping on my stomach sometimes I will accidentally sleep with my head in an elevated position but with no support for my neck. I will then wake up and have a stabbing pain in my neck for the next 3 or 4 days.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

Stomach sleeper at home, but have been trying to switch to my back. In the back country I start out trying to fall asleep on my back and usually end up on my stomach and shift the bag so that the hood/bottom of bag is now facing up and my arms under my chest. Weird position but it's comfortable to me. I sleep on the thermarest z-lite.